Gratiot County Michigan
MIGenWeb Project

Emerson Township

Back to Emerson Township  |  Back to Hamlets and Post Offices



The history of the Beebe post office dates from March 24. 1884, and runs through a period of 20 years. Lewis M. Ritchie was appointed on the date mentioned and in the course of time was succeeded as follows:

SMALL HAMLETS.           1203

Thomas B. Wiles, September 30, 1886; Spencer D. Monroe, February 21, 1889; Jonathan Gidlev, July 30, 1890; Melvern Sanders, March 5, 1892; Frederick Newton, December 7, 1894; Melvern Sanders, July 16, 1896 ; Robert Gamble, May 20, 1897; J. A. Brader, September 25, 1902; George Duerr, Jr., October 12, 1903. Discontinued December 14, 1904. Mail is furnished from Ithaca, route No. 5.

Beebe was named for Henry L. Beebe, a resident there, and a Gratiot County teacher many years. The place is often called Emerson Center, a name that c 1 e a r 1 v in­dicates the location of the burg. A store was started there in the early ‘80s by Mr. Beebe, who soon sold out to L. M. Richie who was the first postmaster. A store has ever since been conducted here, and some­times two. Melvern San­ders is the p r e s e n t pro­prietor. A blacksmith shop is conducted by Will Snyder. The M. F. Church is connected with the North Star circuit and has Rev. Carl Seipp as pastor.


These few lines relative to the little hamlet may plausibly be brought to a close by the truthful re­mark that it is surrounded by what many consider the very best farming lands in Michigan; lands that were heavily timbered, but as level and rich as the best prairie lands to be found in any state.

Back to Emerson Township  |  Back to Hamlets and Post Offices

Drop List of Gratiot Co. Pages

Gratiot Co. MIGENWEB Site Author:
Copyright � 1996-2013 [P. L. Hamp]. All rights reserved.

Hosted by Michigan Family History Network