1202 HISTORY OF GRATIOT
This small burg is in Washington Township on the south side
of the Maple at the point where the river is spanned by the
state road bridge, 11 miles directly south of Ithaca, and within
a mile of the south county line. The town was started in the
early ‘60s with some aspirations, and was for several years
quite an important and convenient stopping place for travelers
on their trips to and from the north woods.
John Hicks, of St. Johns, had property interests there and in
1864 had some of his land platted that is to say, the west
fractional half of the southwest fractional quarter of section
30, Washington Township. The town never attained large
proportions, and in late years business has become so reduced
that one store constitutes the sole business institution of the
place; H. D. Lewis, proprietor.
Bridgeville was given a post office August 10, 1865. On that
date William P. Bolds received the appointment of postmaster.
His successors were Edward Y. Kelley, February 8, 1869; James
Sturgis, January 15, 1872; Edward Y. Kelley, December 29, 1879;
Isaac P. Stanley, December 22, 1886. Discontinued January 28,
1896, mail to go to Pompeii.