History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Houghton County 

Source: History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan: containing a full account of its early settlement, its growth, development, and resources, an extended description of its iron and copper mines : also, accurate sketches of its counties, cities, towns, and villages ... biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers. Publication Info: Chicago : Western Historical Co., 1883. Pages 276 -279.


JOSEPH A. AMES, explorer, real estate dealer and operator in mines and mineral land, was born in Akron, Ohio, December 26, 1843, and moved to Oshkosh, Wis., with his parents in the spring of 1855. Three years later, they moved to Omro, Wis. In 1862, when in his twentieth year, Mr. Ames came to Lake Superior, and engaged with Messrs. Douglass & Shelden in their lumber yard. He began as laborer, piling lumber, but was soon given the sole management of their lumber business. He remained in the employ of this firm about twenty years, during which time he was identified with their varied business interests. In 1866 and 1867, he had charge of surface work at the South Pewabic Mine. He had charge of the Houghton Docks three years. Went to Silver Islet, Lake Superior, with William B. Prue, and was in charge of sorting and shipping for that company about nine months, or till the work was suspended in 1871. He had bought into the tug business while in the employ of Shelden & Douglass. He subsequently had Government contracts for furnishing rock for the cribs of Ontonagon Harbor. He towed the rock from Houghton in 1874. He also towed rock from Drummond's Island for the Sault Canal in 1877 and 1878. From 1872 to 1878, he was a stockholder and Director of the First National Bank of Houghton. In September, 1879, he began operations in the Iron Region, where he has interests in options in several mines and several thousand acres of land. At this writing, he is developing the property of the Iron King and Harney Mining Companies of Baraga County. Mr. Ames was married at Houghton, May 21, 1867, to Miss Alice M. Putnam, daughter of Harrison Putnam. Mrs. Ames was born in Essex, N. Y. They have six children—four daughters and two sons.

HARRY S. BEESLEY, surveyor, civil engineer and explorer, a pioneer of Lake Superior of 1846. was born in Oxford, England, May 2, 1823. He was educated in England, and went to sea when about the age of sixteen years, at first in the coasting trade, then in the packets from Liverpool to New York. After leaving the sea, he located in Ohio, and remained there until the fall of 1845, and passed the following winter in Chicago. In May of 1846, he came to Lake Superior as a mineral explorer; in July of that year, he located a nine mile permit on the Ontonagon River joining the Norwich. In 1849, he assisted Col. C. C. Whittlesey, in his geological surveys on the south shore of Lake Superior. He has held the office of County Surveyor a number of years, and laid out the principal roads and several of the villages in this section of the country.

JAMES H. BLANDY was born in Newark, Del., September 7, 1837; he came to Houghton, Lake Superior, in 1856, where he was engaged in merchandising four years. He then accepted the position of clerk of the Pewabic Mining Company, and served in that capacity seven years. Mr. Blandy is a prominent share-holder in the great Calumet and Hecla Mine; he is also a quarter owner of the Lake Superior Native Copper Works. Since 1868, he has been one of the administrators of the Richard Edwards estate. He was married in New York City, April 25, 1865, to Miss Eliza A., daughter of Capt. Richard Edwards. Mrs. Blandy was born in Devonshire, England. They have one child, a daughter—Sally E.

REV. JAMES LANGHORNE BOXER, resident pastor of the Trinity Church (Episcopal), of Houghton, since November 1, 1881, was born in Folkestone, Kent Co., Eng., February 6, 1828; he is the son of Col. John and Mary (Davies) Boxer; his father was Colonel of the Fourteenth Dragoons, and served under Wellington; his mother was born in South Carolina, and is descended from one of the oldest families of that State. He was educated at Folkestone College, and was ordained a minister of the Episcopal Church in 1857; he was pastor of several churches in England, and was connected with Charles Dickens' journal, "All the Year Round," as one of its corps of writers. He came to America in 1857; served as pastor at Sing Sing, N. Y., six years, at Goshen three years, and at La Porte, Ind., three years. From the latter place he came Houghton in 1881 to accept the charge of the Trinity Church at this place. Mr. Boxer was married June 29, 1851, at the church connected with the oldest nunnery in England, situated at Folkestone, to Miss Sarah A., daughter of Thomas Wilson. Mrs. Boxer was born in Folkestone. They have four children—Sarah, John, Charlotte and Joseph; Sarah is Mrs. Fred West, of La Porte, Ind.; John married Caroline Thorne, and lives at Chicago.

WILLIAM W. BUTTERFIELD, traveling agent for the Lake Superior Native Copper Works of Houghton. Mr. Butterfield was born in Wolcott, Wayne Co., N. Y., in June, 1824. He came to Houghton, Lake Superior, in the fall of 1857; in the summer of 1858, ran the Steamer C. C. Douglass under lease of one season, between Houghton and Portage Entry; he was next employed by R. Shelden & Co., as warehouse agent, and also was Custom House officer; continued with Smith & Harris, R. Shelden & Co.'s successors; he was occupied in that capacity for nine years; he was next employed with J. Hoar & Brother in the warehouse business for two years; he then traveled for C. L. Woodman & Co., of Chicago, for about six years, and resided in Chicago from 1872 to 1876; he returned in the latter year; built the Butterfield House in 1860 and 1861; kept the same till 1872; then rented the house to Mrs. Fox for two years; then renewed the lease for two years to her son, Frank Fox; in 1876, moved back in house. The house is kept under the management of his wife and son at present. Mr. Butterfield entered his duties as traveling agent for the Copper Rolling Mill in 1880. He was married on board of Steamer North Star, at Copper Harbor, in October, 1858, to Mrs. Phebe J. Steele, widow of James Steele, Mrs. Butterfield had one son by her former marriage-named James H., now a salesman in a Chicago mercantile house. Two children were born to the latter marriage—Cora Belle and George W.

THOMAS L CHADBOURNE was born at Eastport, Maine, April 13, 1841; he is the son of I. R. Chadbourne and Hannah Lincoln; he received a collegiate education at Harvard, and graduated in 1862. Soon after completing his course at Harvard, he came to Houghton and began the study of law with Hon. J. A. Hubbell, and was admitted to practice in 1864 in the Circuit Court of Houghton County; he entered upon the practice of his profession at Eagle River, Keweenaw Co., Mich., and continued in practice at that place till 1868, when he came to Houghton, and formed a law partnership with Mr. J. A. Hubbell, under the firm name of Hubbell & Chadbourne, which continued from January 1, 1869, to January 1, 1876. Since the expiration of his partnership with Mr. H. he has practiced alone. Mr. Chadbourne was married at Copper Falls, Lake Superior, July, 1869, to Miss Georgina, daughter of George Kay. Mrs. Chadbourne was born on Prince Edward Island. They have had four children—Hannah L., Thomas L., Eliza A. and Alice G. The third child, Eliza A., died at the age of three years.

WALTER CHUBB, Master Mechanic and Engineer of the Lake Superior Native Copper Company, was born in Devonshire, England, January 27, 1844. He learned the trade of engineer in his native country, and came to America in 1864 and learned the trade of machinist. He located at Eagle River, and was for two years in the employ of the Phoenix & Bay State Mining Company; from there he went to Detroit in the spring of 1866, and engaged with E. B. Ward as engineer, and worked for him on repairs in the old Detroit Locomotive Works. In the fall, he returned to Lake Superior and engaged with his old employers at the Eagle River District, where he stayed two years, moving from there to the Calumet and Hecla Mines, and assisted in erecting the machinery of the Hecla Stamp Mill and other engines and machinery for the Calumet and Hecla Mines, after which he retired to Detroit and shipped as engineer, and spent eight years on the boats of the Upper Lakes, during which time he spent one winter in his native country; returning again to Lake Superior, he engaged with the Atlantic Mining Company, where he was in charge of the pumping machinery and mill-runner of their stamp-mill for four years. In July, 1880, he accepted his present position. Mr. Chubb was married at Houghton in May, 1879, to Miss Mary A. daughter of George and Keturah Curah. They have two children—Ada Grace and Fred W.

STEPHEN E. CLEAVES, of the firm of S. E. Cleaves & Son, proprietors of the Eureka Iron Works, was born in Saco, Maine, January 22, 1829. He is the son of William Cleaves. When eighteen years of age, he began learning the machinist's trade at Lowell, Mass., and served three years. He then moved to Chicopee, Mass., where he worked as a journeyman machinist. In 1859, he came to Houghton, Mich., for the purpose of putting in the machinery of the Pewabic and Franklin stamp mills. After the completion of the work, he accepted the position of Superintendent of the Franklin Mill, and served in that capacity eight years; then formed a partnership with Ransom Shelden and Mr. Wanzer, in the foundry and machine works, under the firm name of Shelden, Wanzer & Cleaves. This connection lasted twelve years. He then sold out, and engaged with a Mr. Hodge in the machinery business. In July, 1879, he purchased the Bark Extract building, in West Houghton, remodeled it and converted it into a foundry and machine shop, under the name of the Eureka Iron Works, taking his son, William S., as a partner. The main building is 76x48 feet, with an ell 16x76. They use two engines, the larger one being 12x20, make all sorts of mining machinery and tools and employ an average force of thirty men. Mr. Cleaves was married in Lowell, Mass., in 1850, to Miss Sarah, daughter of Jacob Morrel. Mrs. Cleaves was born in Windham, Me. They have had four children, of whom only one is living—Frank, William S., Frank E. and Edward. All were drowned but William. Frank drowned at the age of four years, Frank E. aged nineteen years and Edward aged eleven years.

WILLIAM S. CLEAVES was born in Lowell, Mass., March 19, 1851. Came to Houghton, L. S., in 1860; was married in Franklin Township, Houghton County, September 9, 1876, to Miss L. A. Ormsby, daughter of Horace Ormsby. Mrs. Cleaves was born near Fort Henry, N. Y. They have one child, a daughter—Lillie.

PROCTOR P. COWLES (deceased) was born in Amherst, Mass., in 1818. He learned the carpenter's trade, and became a master mechanic and builder. He came to Houghton in 1858, under contract to build two stamp mills—the Pewabic and Franklin; he also built Chase's warehouse, the court house and jail, Miller's Hotel, the present schoolhouse and various other buildings. The schoolhouse was done under contract for $35,000. He met with an accident in 1864, by which he was partially crushed under a falling timber, which produced partial paralysis. He survived until the fall of 1878, when his death occurred.

JOSEPH CROZE, manager of the Portage Lake Towing Company (see sketch of business in history of Houghton), was born in Canada February 8, 1841, and came to Lake Superior in 1859, and located at Eagle River, Keweenaw Co., Mich. He was engaged at the Cliff Mine for a time, and subsequently as surface boss at the Garden City Mine; he next spent four years at Eagle River as hotel clerk. In 1869, he came to Houghton and engaged as salesman with Smith & Harris, merchants, and continued with that company until 1879. He became interested in the tug business in 1876 while with Smith & Harris. Since 1879, he has devoted his attention to this business and to ship building and repairing. He was married at the Cliff Mine, May 8, 1869, to Mrs. Johanna McCarty, daughter of Mortimer Sullivan. Mrs. McCarty had one child—a daughter—by her former marriage. Six children were born to the present marriage—six sons. Mr. Croze has been a member of the Village Council six years.

WILLIAM CULLYFORD, lessee of the Douglas House, Thomas Cullyford, proprietor (see sketch of hotel in history of Houghton), was born in Western England April 23, 1840. He is the son of Alexander and Ann Cullyford. He came to America in 1869; made his home in Detroit, Mich., until the fall of 1876, when he came to Houghton, Lake Superior. He was employed by his brother Thomas clerk of the Douglas House, and given the entire management in 1878, his brother going to Duluth. Under his management, the house is doing a good business and is deservedly popular.

AUGUST DALLMEYER, manufacturer of and dealer in cigars, established this business in 1861; employs eight hands, and turns out 360,000 cigars annually; was born in Prussia, Germany, October 1, 1828. He emigrated to America in 1848, the year of the attempted political revolution in his country. He made his home at Pittsburgh, Penn., till 1851, when he moved to Lake Superior, and located at Eagle River, Houghton County (now Keweenaw); was one of those who helped to open the old Cliff Mine, and worked as a miner with that mining company ten years. In 1861, he came to Houghton, and engaged in the manufacture and sale of cigars. He followed that business successfully to this date, 1882. He now carries an average stock of $5,500. Mr. Dallmeyer has always taken an active interest in public matters, and for six years has served as a member of the Village Council. He was married at Eagle River, Lake Superior, in 1855, to Miss Amelia Rich. Mrs. Dallmeyer was born in Saxony. They have three children—Amelia, Ida and Caroline. Amelia is the wife of Theodore Lang, of Houghton; Ida is Mrs. Patrick Dorn, of Duluth. Mr. Dallmeyer was burned out in 1878, by which he lost his entire stock. He at once started again, and is now doing a successful business.

JOHN DAVIES, foreman of the rolling of the Lake Superior Native Copper Works, was born in Swansea, Wales, July 8, 1851. He began work in the rolling mills (copper), in his native country while only a lad. He had nearly twenty years' experience as a copper worker in Wales, and had acquired a thorough knowledge of the business. In 1880, he came to America, and direct to Houghton, Lake Superior, to accept the position of foreman roller in the Lake Superior Native Copper Works. Mr. Davies was married in Swansea, Wales, December 27, 1875, to Miss Catharine Lewis, daughter of Thomas Lewis. Mrs. Davis is a native of St. Thomas, Wales. They have had three children—Mary M., Thomas L. and Catharine. The son died at the age of one year.

COLUMBUS C. DOUGLAS, deceased, was one of the pioneers of the copper region of Lake Superior and a partner of Ransom Shelden in all the prominent business enterprises of early days. He was a large property owner, and at one time he and Mr. Shelden owned the principal mining lands in this section. They also opened and operated a number of mines, and were instrumental in developing the country to a greater extent probably than any other two men. Mr. Douglas was born in Springfield, N. Y., in 1812; came to Mount Clemens, Mich., when a youth, and received a liberal education, and in 1844 he assisted Dr. Douglas Houghton in his geological surveys of the Upper Peninsula. He was subsequently engaged in mining in Ontonagon, Keweenaw, Isle Royal and Houghton Counties. For many years, he was a partner of Ransom Shelden in mercantile and other business. He was a member of the Michigan Legislature, and helped to organize a number of mining companies, and was instrumental in inducing a large amount of capital to be invested in this region. About 1863, he moved to New York City, still retaining his business interests here. His death occurred in London, England. The family caused the remains to be brought to America, and buried in Algonac. Mr. Douglas was a cousin of Hon. Stephen A. Douglas. The family were originally from Vermont. His wife and his two children survive him, and are residents of New York City.

EDWARD F. DOUGLASS, is the proprietor of a livery, sale and boarding stable; business established in 1878. Mr. Douglass was born May 17, 1854. He is the son of Edward F. and Catharine Douglass. He came to Houghton with his parents in 1855. In 1872, he engaged in the book and stationery business, and continued in that line till 1878, when he sold out and engaged in his present business. He was married at Hancock, Lake Superior, April 5, 1876, to Miss Jennie Hitchcock. They have three sons—Frank A., Edward F. and Roland B.

FRANK A. DOUGLASS, Postmaster, insurance agent and agent of the American Express Company, was born in Nashville, Tenn., July 16, 1851. He is the son of Edward F. and Catharine D. Douglass. When he was four years of age, his family moved to Houghton, Mich., in August, 1855. Here he passed his childhood, receiving his primary education in the public schools. He then attended the Mayhew Commercial College of Detroit. On his return to Houghton, he was appointed Collector of the Portage Lake Improvement Company, and served in that capacity three years. In 1870, he engaged in the insurance business, with his father, and which, since his father's death in 1873, he has continued to this date. He now has the most extensive business in that line in the Upper Peninsula. Among the many reliable companies represented by him may be mentioned the Home, German American and Star, of New York; the Connecticut and Orient, of Hartford, Conn.; the Springfield, of Springfield, and Boston Underwriters, of Massachusetts; Fireman's Fund, of California; the Liverpool and London and Globe, and Lancashire, and Queen, of England; the Travelers' Life and Accident, of Hartford; the New England Mutual Life; and the Continental and Marine. His business extends throughout the entire copper region of Michigan. He was appointed Postmaster of Houghton in 1873, to succeed his father, deceased. and has held the office to this date. He was married at Adrian, Mich., September 3, 1879, to Miss Mary M. Corbin, daughter of William Corbin. Mrs. Douglass was born in Monroe County, Mich. They have one child, a son, aged two years, named William C.

CAPT. W. A. DUNN, agent of the Albany and Boston Mine, town of Franklin, and agent of the Hercules Powder Company. Capt. Dunn was born in Glengary, Upper Canada, October 5, 1840. He is the son of G. Walter and Sarah Dunn. His early life was passed in the lumber business of that region. In May, 1864, he came to Marquette, Mich., with the intention of entering into the lumber business; not finding the prospects as favorable as he expected, he engaged as overseer of contract work at the Marquette Iron Mine. In the spring of 1869, he became a contractor at the New York Iron Mine, and followed that business till October, 1872, when he opened the Kloman Mine, situated near the Republic, which he worked till the spring of 1875. He then took charge of the Lowthian Mine for the Lake Superior Iron Company, near Ishpeming, which he worked till August, 1877. He then took the agency of the Hercules Powder Company, which he has continued to this date. He handles about three hundred tons of powder annually. The company's headquarters are at Cleveland. This is a branch of the Santa Cruz (California) Powder Company. In August, 1881, he took the agency of the Albany and Boston nine, which he now operates. Capt. Dunn was married at Fond du Lac, Wis., November 3, 1874, to Miss Helen, daughter of John La Doo. Mrs. Dunn was born in Ontonagon County, Lake Superior. They have four children, two sons and two daughters—Alice, William L., B. Wallace and Daisy.

JAMES P. EDWARDS, civil and mining engineer, is a son of Capt. Richard Edwards, a well-known pioneer of Lake Superior. He was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., in July, 1850, and, when a child of three months of age, was brought to Lake Superior, and grew up in the copper mining districts of this region. The family first located at Eagle River, where Capt. Edwards was in charge of some mines, but soon after moved to Houghton. James was educated at Ann Arbor, Mich., at the State University, and there fitted himself for the profession of civil engineer. Returning to Lake Superior, he has made this country his home. He was instrumental in building the bridge across Portage Lake, between Houghton and Hancock, and is still the largest stockholder in the property. For the past two years, he has served as Highway Commissioner.

JOSEPH P. EDWARDS was born in England March 22, 1835; he is the eldest son of Capt. Edwards, and came to America with his father in 1849, and worked as a miner under his father in the Albion Mine two years, then went to Albion, Mich., where he spent one year at school; from there he went to Gregory's Commercial College of Detroit. He returned to Lake Superior, and operated with his father until 1850, when he moved to North Carolina and engaged in mining; he was agent of the North Carolina Consolidated and Carrollton Mines. On the breaking-out of the late war, he found that region unpromising for business, and moved to California; he located at Grass Valley, Nevada County; spent one years in that locality engaged in mining; he then crossed the mountain, to Virginia City, Nev., and worked awhile underground as a miner and was then appointed bookkeeper for the Ophir Company; he subsequently resigned that position and accepted a position with the Gould & Curry Mining Company, as mine Superintendent, which he held until the fall of 1866. In April, 1867, he returned to Lake Superior, and was employed in various ways, operating a saw-mill, clerking and running a steamboat. In January, 1879, he went to the Black Hills, Dakota Territory, where he was engaged in mining until May, 1881. He was married at Virginia City, Nev., November 11, 1863, to Miss Addie F. Ferguson, daughter of George Ferguson, and who was born on Nantucket Island, Mass., and in childhood removed with her parents to South Carolina; her father was one of the pioneers of California of 1849. Mr. Edwards, on his return from the Black Hills, made his home in Houghton, where he still resides. In politics, he is a Democrat, and has held several local offices.

CAPT. RICHARD EDWARDS, deceased. The subject of this sketch was one of the earliest and most enterprising of the pioneers of Lake Superior. He was a native of England; was born in Cornwall in July, 1809; he was brought up in mining work, and was married in 1834 to Miss Jane Pryor, and was soon afterward made a mining captain; he was promoted to Superintendent, and had charge of several mines; he emigrated to America in August, 1849, and made his home in Brooklyn, N. Y., until the spring of 1850; he engaged with the Albion Mining Company to take charge of their copper mines near Eagle River, Lake Superior; moved to Houghton in 1853, where he had charge of the Albion (now the Sheldon and Columbian Mines). In 1854, he bought a saw-mill at Houghton, and was also engaged entensively in real estate business. In 1855, he resigned the agency of the Albion Mine, and retired from active mining. He was largely interested in mineral lands and mining stock. His second son, T. W., was associated with him; together they had upward of 20,000 acres of land on the Upper Peninsula, and a large amount of mining stock, including 2,100 shares of Calumet and 200 shares of Hecla. Capt. Edwards was a Democrat in politics, and always took a warm interest in public affairs; he was a man of fine executive ability, sagacious in business, prompt to act and generally successful in his undertakings. Probably no man in the Upper Peninsula had a better conception of or more correctly estimated the wonderful resources of this region; he was enterprising and public-spirited and commanded the respect and esteem of a large circle of friends and acquaintances. His death occurred April 20, 1868. Several of his children survive him and are residents of Houghton—Joseph P., Thomas W., Jane (now Mrs. J. P. Hunt), Eliza A. (now Mrs. J. H. Blandy), Mary E. (Mrs. George C. Shelden), James P. and John H.

Capt. Richard Edwards Mrs. Richard Edwards nee Jane Pryor

THOMAS W. EDWARDS, dealer in real estate, President of the Portage Lake Bridge Company. The subject of this sketch was the son of Capt. Richard and Jane Edwards; he was born in Devonshire, England, July 5, 1838, and came to America with his parents in August, 1849; one year was spent in Brooklyn, N. Y., and then the family moved to Lake. Superior in 1850, and located at Eagle River, Houghton County, now Keweenaw County. In 1853, they came to Houghton. When Mr. Edwards had become of age, he became interested in the real estate business. In 1860, he engaged in the lumber trade with his father at this place. In 1870. he purchased a half interest in the saw-mill at Baraga. This connection lasted until 1873, when he sold out to Capt. Bendry. He was the original purchaser of the rolling mill property; he is now part owner of the works, and is Vice President of the company. He is also interested in various copper mines in this region; he is the President of the Wolverine Mine, and Director in the Florida and Edwards Mine. He is also interested in several mines in the Black Hills. In 1876, he bought a half-interest in the Steamer Ivanhoe of the L'Anse and Houghton Transportation Company, which he still retains; he has served as Supervisor and Chairman of the Board of Houghton County several years. He was married at Elmira, N. Y., June 13, 1861, to Miss Emily Collingwood, daughter of Francis Collingwood. Mrs. Edwards was born in Elmira, N. Y. They have six children—Richard M., Emma C., William L., George C., Robert and Mary K. Mr. Edwards is one of the leading men of the Upper Peninsula. He has always taken an active part in the support of all worthy public enterprises; his well-known liberality and public spirit entitle him to the warmest regard of his fellow-citizens.

Thomas W. Edwards

CHARLES F. ESCHWEILER, explorer for mineral, was born in Rhenish-Prussia, February 10, 1826. He is the son of Peter J. and Gertrude Eschweiler. He was educated for a mining engineer at the universities of Bonn and Berlin. He graduated with honor in 1852, and was immediately engaged by an English mining company to go to California as mining engineer. He passed two years in California. On his return to Germany, he visited the Prussian minister at New York City (who was an old family friend), and was induced by him to remain in this country. He then spent four years in Virginia, New York and Pennsylvania, reporting on mines. In 1858, he came to Lake Superior; spent the time till February, 1859, in traveling and reporting on mines. He was appointed Superintendent of the Isle Royal Mine at Houghton which position he held five years. He then traveled in Canada and Nova Scotia, reporting on mines in those countries. In 1872, he returned to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and was in charge of the Copper Falls Mine one year, and subsequently of the Petherick Mine, adjacent to the former. He then returned to Houghton and took charge of the Grand Portage; he organized a company, and purchased one-sixteenth of the Grand Portage Mine. In 1881, he sold out his interest in the mine, since which time he has operated as an explorer. Mr. Eschweiler was married at Eastport, Maine, May 14, 1859, to Miss Hannah Chadbourne, daughter of Ichabod Chadbourne. Mrs. Eschweiler was born in Maine. They have two children, sons—Franz C. and Alexander C. In politics, Mr. Eschweiler is an earnest Democrat. While in Keweenaw County, he served as Supervisor, and, since residing at Houghton he has served as Road Commissioner; he was once a candidate on the Democratic ticket for County Clerk, but was defeated with the balance of his ticket. Mr. Eschweiler by virtue of his special education on the subject of mining, and his varied experience in the principal mining districts of this country and Europe, has acquired a fund of valuable information that must be of good service to him in this region.

H. GOLDBERG, dealer in wines, liquors and cigars, was born in Russian-Poland in 1837, and emigrated to America in 1860; located in Canada; remained in that country six years, and then came to Eagle Harbor, Lake Superior, Mich., and engaged in merchandising. In 1871, he came to Houghton, and worked with David Haas till 1875, when he began business for himself in his present line. Mr. Goldberg keeps a large stock of the choicest wines and liquors, and is doing a very successful business.

RUFUS R. GOODELL, agent of St. Mary's Canal Mineral Land Company; has held this position since 1869. He was born in Monson, Maine, December 9, 1842. He is the son of Joseph and Eliza Goodell; his early life was passed on a farm. In 1861, he emigrated to Wabasha County, Minn., and engaged in farming. He enlisted, in the fall of 1862, in the late war, as a private of Company G, Eighth Minnesota Infantry. His service was principally on the Western frontier. He went South with his regiment in the fall of 1864, and was actively engaged in Tennessee, North and South Carolina, till the close of the war. During this term, he participated in Sully's and Sibley's expedition against the Indians. After the close of the war, he came to Houghton, Lake Superior, Mich., and engaged in exploring for mineral. In 1869, he was appointed agent of St. Mary's Canal Mineral Land Company, with headquarters at Houghton, and has held that position to this date. He was married at Houghton, in the fall of 1868, to Miss Kate Easton, daughter of Elijah Easton, of Owatonna, Minn. Mrs. Goodell was born in Pennsylvania. They have five children—Robert W., R. Talmadge, Horatio S., Kate and Daisy M.

Includable Page Index History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan: Houghton County
 Pages 250 - 256 | Pages 256 - 264 | Pages 264 - 272 | Pages 272 - 276 | Pages 276 - 279 | Pages 279 - 283 | Pages 283 - 286
Pages 286 - 291 | Pages 291 - 299 | Pages 299 - 302 | Pages 302 - 305 | Pages 305 - 311 | Pages 311 - 316 | Pages 316 - 320
Copper Country Online Files

Copper Country Online Files

Houghton MIGenWeb

Index | Archives | Bibliography | Bios | Cemeteries | Lookups | Obits | Queries 

Keweenaw MIGenWeb

Index | Archives | Bibliography | Bios | Cemeteries | Lookups | Obits | Queries

Join Us On FaceBook

  Web Page Coding: Copyright © 1998 - 2013. All rights reserved. Volunteers hold copyright to the material they have donated for this site.  Not to be copied and used in any format to any other site or in any other media including CDs, books, and visual presentations.  Small parts (not all one surnames studies) may be used in personal family genealogies.  Please cite your source (this site) when using this data. 

MIGenWeb Project


Hosted on the Michigan Family History Network Server