History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Houghton County 

Source: History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan: containing a full account of its early settlement, its growth, development, and resources, an extended description of its iron and copper mines : also, accurate sketches of its counties, cities, towns, and villages ... biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers. Publication Info: Chicago : Western Historical Co., 1883. Pages 305-311.


(P. O. Calumet.)

The village of Red Jacket, with a present population of about 2,300, was given this name because of a copper mine thus called near its present site, in which a shaft was sunk about one hundred feet, in 1867, by E. J. Hurlbut, then the owner of the land. It was called the Portland or Red Jacket Mining Company, but, after a few months it was abandoned, Mr. Hurlbut having disposed of his interests in the mineral land then owned by him, reserving, however, the surface of the land upon which this village now stands. This mine and village were thus named after the celebrated Indian chief Red Jacket.

Among the pioneer settlers where Red Jacket now stands were Amos H. Scott, Richard Bastian, John Dymock, John Hutson, Arthur Donald, William Royal, D. T. MacDonald and others whose names we failed to learn. The first building erected here was in 1856—a log house, built by E. J. Hurlbut for a boarding—house, and was kept by Arthur Donald. It then stood near the middle of the street. It was subsequently purchased by Richard Bastian, and is now occupied by him as a residence, near Bear & Dymock' a meat market. Mr. Dymock traversed the ground where Red Jacket and the Calumet and Hecla Mines are, before there was a tree cut or a settler thereon. Mr. A. H. Scott moved his family on the ground in 1868, and occupied a log house just east of St. Patrick's Hall. Northrup & Butler opened the first general store here in a building opposite to Bear & Dymock's market. Edward Ryan opened the second general store in Red Jacket.

D. T. MacDonald opened the first drug store in the village in August, 1869, occupying the same locality that he now occupies, though in a larger and much improved building, with which he united his residence in 1880. He has a finely established business, besides has served as Justice of the Peace for the past ten years.

Organization.—Red Jacket Village was organized under a special act of the State Legislature, passed in the winter of 1874-75, and embraces various fractional parts of Section 14, Township 56 north, of Range 33 west, as shown by the recorded plat thereof, which "is hereby constituted a village, under the name and title of the village of Red Jacket."

Under this act, the first or organizing election was held at Fireman's Hall, in said village, April 10, 1875, George Wertin, Henry Northy and Daniel Murphy constituting the Board of Registration and inspectors thereof. The following were the first officers chosen; President, Peter Ruppe, Jr.; Recorder, James H. Kerwin; Treasurer, James Mailin, Jr.; Assessors, Richard Bastian, James Sullivan; Attorney, John Powers; Marshal, J. C. Pearce; Trustees, George Wertin, Henry Northy, D. D. Murphy, Martin Foley, Michael Borgo and Joseph Hermann. The annual elections thereafter were and are held on the first Tuesday in September. The total vote cast at the first election was 200.

The first assessment and levy of taxes were $2,000, of which $1,758.45 were collected and apportioned to the following as village funds: General fund, $734.11; highway fund, $367.23; fire fund, $367.11. The first collection of poll tax amounted to $290. Added to the above revenue were fines, licenses, etc., making a total fund of $6,100.45, of which $3,070.54 were disbursed, leaving a balance in the treasury of $3,029.91. The above revenue and disbursements only covered the last five months of the fiscal year. The village revenue collected the following full fiscal year, from September, 1875, to September, 1876, was $8,658.90. The disbursements this year left the village in debt $205.21.

The tax levy collected for the fiscal year of 1881-82 was only $1,283.81; liquor tax, $7,534; fines, $201; licenses, $99.50; poll tax, $269.76; sundries, $192.60; cash on hand from last year, $605.96, making a total revenue for the fiscal year of $10,186.63. Of this sum, $10,164.12 were disbursed during the year, leaving a cash balance on hand of only $22.51.

The present officers for 1881-82 are: President, F. Ward; Trustees, Joseph Hermann, James Gardner, Ole Olson, James Wertin, Jr., and D. D. Murphy; Recorder, James L. Nankervis; Treasurer, C. Schenk; Assessors, Charles Lambert, Joseph Heirsch; Attorney, John B. Curtis; Marshal, William J. Tonkin. The vote cast at this election was 264, 86 less than the full vote.

Fire Department.—Protection Fire Company, No. 1, of the village of Red Jacket, was organized under the provisions of the village charter, in the month of April, 1875, with a membership of fifty names. From the time of its organization to the latter part of 1878, its career was similar to that of other fire companies, generally quiet and harmonious. Whenever a fire broke out, the company was always on duty, and, upon most occasions, rendered timely and valuable assistance. In the latter part of 1878, how ever, Protection Fire Company disorganized because of a conflict with the Village Council. In January, 1878, a new fire company was organized under the name and title of Eureka Fire Company, No. 1, with a full membership of fifty, Peter Ruppe, Jr., being elected Foreman, and James L. Nankervis, Secretary.

Up to the present time, Eureka Fire Company has a good record. At many a devastating fire, the efforts of the company to protect and save property have been marked with signal success. The company have an excellent steam fire-engine, built by Messrs. Clapp & Jones, of Hudson, N. Y., costing at the manufactory $4,200. A new hose cart, with the latest improvements, built in Cincinnati, costing between $400 and $500; a brick veneered building, erected in 1875, 22x40 feet, two stories, cost about $2, 500; hose at that time cost $1,350.

In 1870, the village of Red Jacket was well-nigh destroyed by fire, which came in from the bushes. At least two-thirds of the place, including the central or business portion, was entirely swept away: at a time, too, when there were no fire facilities organized to stay its ravages. The loss was large and severe to many who were not able to meet such a sudden calamity. However, the village was gradually rebuilt in many instances, with a better class of buildings.

Educational.—There are no schools in the village of Red Jacket, save such small ones as may be connected with the churches of Catholic proclivities; inasmuch as the village is included in District No. 1, and the school building thereof is outside the village limits, in the Calumet hamlet, which serves for all.

Religious Societies.—There are several religious societies, including church edifices, within the limits of the village of Red Jacket.

The German Lutheran Society was organized in 1881, with a membership of about twenty-five. Its first officers were: Ferdinand Peterman, George Standenmyer and Charles Lachel as Trustees, with Ferdinand Peterman as Chairman; E. Welhe as Secretary, and F. Peterman as Treasurer. Their church edifice was built in 1880, is a frame structure, 30x48 feet, and cost $3,000, with an organ which cost $140. The society is out of debt. The present membership or attendance is about fifty. The present Trustees are: F. Peterman, George Standenmyer, Charles Lachel, Paul Bast, Ernest Pollman and C. Kuhn, with Rev. Fred Arnold as Chairman; J. Kurtz, Secretary, and F. Peterman, Treasurer. The pastors have been Revs. Mr. Wambogans, who organized the society, and Rev. Fred Arnold, the present pastor. A Sunday school has existed from the first.

The Catholic Church was organized in 1868 by Rev. Edward Jacker, and a church edifice built in 1869, of frame, 40x90 feet in size. The first congregation numbered about 1,200, and the present one about 3,000. The church building cost $4,000. A parsonage was built of wood in 1869, at a cost of $1,800. The attendance is for some ten miles about. The pastors have been Revs. Edward Jacker, Fred Eis, John Brown, John Burns, Luke Mozina, Peter Menard, John Kenny, and John Chebul, the present incumbent.

The Norwegian Church society was organized in 1870, with about twenty-five members. Its first pastor was Rev. H. Rocrnacs, and its present pastor is Rev. L. E. Eitrem. It has a board of six Trustees, with a Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer thereof.

The Swedish Church society was organized in 1877, with a membership of fifty, and has a present membership of forty male members, females not counting as members. Its first pastor was Rev. C. Olander, but it is now shepherd-less.

The Finnish Church society was organized in 1876, with a membership of thirty, and has now a membership of twenty. Its first pastor was Rev. A. E. Backman, who is the present incumbent.

All three of the above societies are Evangelical Lutheran, and, while they are of one faith, they each differ in government and language, and all worship in the same church edifice—Trinity.

The Norwegian and Swedish societies each have a Sunday school, well attended.

The Polish Church society was organized the present year, 1882, with Rev. Fabian Pawler as the organizing pastor. The Church Executive Committee are: M. Mytkowski, Andrew Bartkowiak, Simon Tobianski, A. Osinski and Vincent Saltka, who have in charge the construction of a frame church building 40x75 feet in size, which will seat sixty persons and cost $2,900.

Much interest seems to be taken by these nationalities in church, Sunday school and educational matters.

Benevolent Societies.—Red Jacket is well provided with aid societies among its various nationalities.

The Masonic order is represented by the Calumet Order, No. 271, organized in 1869, with thirteen charter members. It occupies the old Calumet school building as lodge quarters. The first officers of the lodge were: John Duncan, W. M.; Dr. R. H. Osborne, S. W.; F. G. White, J. W.; James Loranger, Secretary; E. S. McCain, Treasurer; H. S. Ming, S. D.; John S. Dymock, J. D.; James Grierson, Tiler. These, with Duncan T. Macdonald, Thomas Wills, John S. Morrison and George D. Bolton, constituted the charter membership. The present officers of the lodge are: John Duncan, W. M.; James Ramsay, S. W.; William Daniell, J. W.; Fred Mackenzie, Secretary; John S. Dymock, Treasurer; E. H. Pomerey, S. D.; William Phillips, J. D.; Thomas Loddy and J. P. North, Stewards; James Little, Tiler.

The lodge has a present membership of about one hundred, and is in a healthy condition. The annual election of officers occurs in December.

The Independent Order of Odd Fellows has an organization—Calumet Lodge, No. 134, organized in 1870, with a charter membership of seventeen. It has a present membership of about two hundred. The lodge owns its own building and ground in Red Jacket, which cost $4,200, and is now valued at $5,000. The present officers are: William Downing, N. G.; H. Lane, V. G.; Alex Grierson, Secretary; William Craze, Jr., Financial Secretary; Hugh James, Treasurer.

The Calumet Encampment, a higher order of the Odd Fellows, was organized in 1875, with a charter membership of nineteen.

The Italian Aid Society is an organization for mutual aid among its members in case of misfortune of any kind. It was organized in 1874, with a membership of eighty, of which M. Borgo was the first President; Jiocomo Biava, Secretary; Vital Coppo, Treasurer, and who has held the latter office to the present time. The present officers are: President, Siti Leozi; Secretary, Digen Bernards; Treasurer, Vital Coppo. The present membership is fifty-five, and is composed of native Italians from Tuscany and Piedmont, the middle and northern provinces.

The Roman Catholic Polanders resident here have a benevolent society called St. Stanislaus Kostka which was organized in 1874, with a membership of twenty-five. Its first officers were: John Zwierzchowski, President; Onton Osinski, Vice President; Martin Flees, Secretary; Mathias Mydkowski, Treasurer; V. Nowicki, A. Nowakowski, M. Ernad, Stephen Swiderski, Frank Swiderski, A. Gorski, Anton Adamski and Frank Zienta, with the six last named as an Executive Committee. The present membership is seventy-five.

The St. Patrick's Society was organized in 1871, with a membership of 200, which was disorganized in 1880.

St. Patrick's Hall, a frame structure 35x100 feet and two stories high, located at the upper end of the village, was built in 1874, by a joint stock company, at a cost of $6,000, and has a seating capacity of 500. It is now used as a public hall for theaters, lectures and other general public purposes.

The Court of Robin Hood, a lodge of the Ancient Order of Foresters, having for its object mutual aid, was organized in Red Jacket in February, 1877, with nine charter members. Its first officers were: W. A. Bray, Chief Ranger; H. Northy, Sub-Chief Ranger; Richard Bastian, Treasurer; J. Guest, Secretary. The present membership is 180, and the present officers are: Chief Ranger, John Eddy; Sub-Chief Ranger, William Moore; Secretary, H. Northy; Treasurer, F. Ward; William Champion, Recording Secretary; Senior Woodman, H. James; Junior Woodman, William Young; Senior Beetle, A. Goodsale; Junior Beetle, Vital Coppo. The society is in a flourishing condition. They rent a hall.

The German Aid Society was organized in 1876, with seventy-five charter members. The first officers were: J. Meyer, President; Feed Reich, Secretary; Henry Buhl, Treasurer. Its present membership is fifty, and its present officers are: John Geiger, President. The object of the society is to aid each other in the hour of misfortune of any kind, and for social enjoyment.

The temperance cause is represented here by the Temple of Honor Lodge, No. 48, organized June 1, 1872, with thirty-five charter members. The first officers of the order were: W. B. Barkle, Worthy Chief Templar; William Champion, W. V. T.; Alfred Goodsale, Recorder; James Reckord, Financial Secretary; John Wills, Treasurer. The present membership is 160, and the present officers are: W. E. Daniell, W. C. T.; E. Jackman, W. V. C. T.; William Saunders, Recorder; William Craze, Financial Secretary; William Blay, Treasurer. The order owns its building, and the object is the promotion of temperance among its members, by practice as well as precept.

Connected with this order is a Junior Temple of Honor, established in 1882, for boys from twelve years upward. It has a membership of such lads.

The Press.—Red Jacket has three printing offices, one of which issues the Calumet News, a seven-column folio weekly sheet, published and edited by Mr. Kelley. It was started in 1881, by Kelley & Wilson, the latter gentleman soon retiring, and subsequently started a job office. The News is a creditable local paper.

There is also a Finnish paper published weekly, started in 1879, called the American Somaloinen, as the organ of the Finnish population.


There is but one regularly appointed hotel in Red Jacket, the Commercial House. This building was first opened as a store in 1878, and in 1879, it was changed to the present hotel by R. J. Burge, its present proprietor. The front part is three stories high, and is centrally located on the main street. There are the Pacific House and others of lesser note, which entertain people to food and the "ardent."

Red Jacket has three special dry goods houses and five of general merchandise, one hardware and stoves, no separate grocery house, two drug stores (the oldest of which is that of D. T. MacDonald), two furniture stores, three meat markets, four millinery shops, three furnishing and tailor establishments, three wagon and blacksmith shops, two lawyers, two doctors, two photographic galleries, two livery stables, three printing offices, eating and dining stalls almost ad infinitum notwithstanding the high license of $300, fixed by the Legislature in 1882, though many of the lower order are doubtless driven out by it. It is said the number in Red Jacket has thus been reduced from sixty to thirty.


D. E. AMOS, manufacturer of and dealer in cigars; he makes the popular brands "Calumet Light Guard" and "High Life," and manufactures about one hundred and fifty thousand annually. The business was established by him in 1877; he also deals in wines and liquors. Mr. Amos was born in Wales, in 1842, and emigrated to America in 1864. He resided five and a half years in Maine, and went from there to Dodgeville, Wis., and removed to Minnesota; from Minnesota to Negaunee, Mich., in 1872, and back to Wisconsin in 1874, and finally came to Red Jacket, Lake Superior, in October, 1877. Mr. Amos is doing a thrifty business.

WILLIAM ANDERSON, proprietor of stage line and contractor. Mr. Anderson was born in the North of Ireland, and is of Scotch parentage, in 1827; he emigrated to America in 1846, and located at Detroit, Mich.; two years later, he moved to Lake Superior, and engaged as a miner at the old Northwest Mine; he worked at that mine four years, and then changed to the Copper Falls Mine, and was in the employ of that company six years; he then engaged at the North American Mine, and remained with that company ten years; he then returned to the "Old Northwest," then called the Delaware, and worked for that company till 1874, when he moved to Red Jacket and established a line of stages between Calumet and the Delaware Mine, making a daily trip each way. Mr. Anderson has served as Township Treasurer, Superintendent of the Poor, and has held other minor offices.

RICHARD BASTIAN has been a resident of the Lake Superior country since 1860; he is a native of Cornwall, Eng., and was born December 21, 1833; he emigrated to America in 1860, coming direct to Lake Superior; landed at Eagle River May 22; he was accompanied by two brothers. William and John; his first work in this country was done at the Old Cliff Mine. From there he went to Ontonagon County, and engaged with the National Mining Company. In October, 1861, he returned to England, and remained in that country till 1864, when he returned to Lake Superior; he worked as a miner in the Amygdaloid Mine of Keweenaw County, Mich., till 1867; January 9 of that year, he came to Calumet to keep boarding-house for the Calumet Mining Company. In the summer of that year, he made another trip to England, and brought out his family. Soon after his return, he bought the corner the now occupies on the main business street of Red Jacket, and erected the first frame building in that block. Mr. Bastian has made this place his home since, and has made a business of keeping public house; he was instrumental in organizing a lodge of the Order of Foresters at Red Jacket, being one of the charter members. He has held various local offices, having served six years as Assessor, and two years as Deputy Sheriff.

MICHAEL BORGO, dealer in wines, liquors and cigars, at the village of Red Jacket. He was born in Italy in 1843; he lost his father when he was six years of age. The father was a Major of artillery, and was killed in battle. The son was made a ward of the government, and was educated at the military academy of Maodona; he left the academy to join the patriot army under Garibaldi in 1859, and served eight years. On the failure of the Republican cause, he made his escape to France; finding that he was likely to be surrendered to the Italian Government, he, like poor Joe, moved on and made his way into Asia; he was disembarked at the Suez Canal at the dawn of day, a political refugee and penniless. He spent six months at the Suez, and then proceeded to Algeria, in Africa. After leading an adventurous life for several years, he emigrated to America, and arrived in this country in June, 1870; he came directly to Red Jacket, Lake Superior, Mich.; he began work as a miner in the Hecla Mine, and continued in that employment until 1873, when he opened a first-class sample-room, and, by keeping only the purest and best of liquors, has made his place the popular resort of the better class of customers.

RICHARD J. BURGE, proprietor of the Commercial House since July, 1877. This is the leading house of Red Jacket, and has accommodations for thirty-five guests. Mr. Burge was born in Cornwall, England. He was brought up at mining, and emigrated to America in 1868. He located at Calumet and began work in the Calumet Mine on the second level. Six weeks later, he changed to the Hecla Mine, near by, and worked with that company seven years as a miner; was employed in No. 4 Shaft, from the third level to the ninety-fathom level. In 1877, he retired from mining and engaged in his present business. He has made hotel business a success, and disclaims any desire to return to underground work.

M. J. CANNING, druggist, was born in Toronto, Canada, in 1858. He came to the United States with his parents in 1864 and located at Ishpeming, Mich.; he received a common school education, and engaged as druggist's clerk with Kirkwood Bros., of Ishpeming, with whom he spent two years. He was subsequently employed in the same capacity with other firms for a period of eight years. In the summer of 1879, he went to Colorado and became a prospector for precious metals. Failing to strike a bonanza, he returned to the Upper Peninsula and opened a drug store in the fall of 1881 at Michigamme. His mercantile venture was cut short January 3, 1882, by fire, by which he lost heavily. In February following, he came to Red Jacket and started his present business. He carries a stock of $6,000 worth of drugs, medicines, toilet articles, stationery, etc.

VITAL COPPO, dealer in wines, liquors and cigars, was born in Italy April 9, 1842. He came to America in 1859, and lived in Canada till 1860. He then came to the Upper Peninsula, and was an employee of the Franklin Mining Company. In 1863, learning that he was drafted as a soldier in his native country, he returned on a week's notice and reported for duty; was accepted and served five years in the war with Austria, a pretty good evidence of fidelity to duty. On the expiration of his military service, he spent one year in Africa, and returned to America in 1870. He worked as a miner in the Hecla Mines four years. He next engaged in keeping boarding house, and in 1875 began dealing in wines, liquors and cigars.

C. M. DUNBAR, foreman of the painting department of the Calumet & Hecla Mines, was born in Indiana in 1844. He went to Chicago in 1865, where he learned the painter's trade, to which he devoted four years' time. In 1869, he went to the Northern Pacific Railroad and was in the employ of that company two years as foreman painter. He then removed to Ashland, Wis., and was in business in his line at that point from 1872 to 1874. He then came to Calumet, and served as foreman painter under the contractors on the company's works. In September, 1880, he was appointed to the position he now holds.

JOHN DUNSTAN, dealer in sewing machines, books, picture frames, notions and organs; business established in 1878. The subject of this sketch was born in England, and emigrated to America in 1856. He came directly to Lake Superior, and located on Keweenaw Point, where he was engaged in mining several years at the Central Mine. In 1878, he returned to England and spent one year, and came again to Lake Superior and located at Red Jacket. In 1878, he opened his present establishment, and is building up a good business.

JOHN S. DYMOCK, of the firm of Baer & Dymock, wholesale and retail butchers. The firm is composed of Baer Bros., of Hancock, and John S. Dymock. The business was established at this place in 1868. They slaughter about twenty head of cattle a week. Mr. Dymock was born in Lanarkshire, near Glasgow, Scotland, August 12. 1838. He emigrated to America in 1857, landed in New York, and then proceeded to Canada, where he was brought up on a farm. In 1862, he came to Hancock, Mich., and engaged with the Baer Bros., in the butchering business; he was located awhile at the Pewabic Mine, and subsequently at the Franklin Mine in company with a Mr. Hall, in the same business. In 1868, he came to Red Jacket, where he has since been in business with the Baer Bros.

JOHN J. ELLIS, jeweler and dealer in silverware, sewing machines and fancy goods; business established in 1872; average stock. $10,000. Mr. Ellis was born in Wales in 1845; he served a regular apprenticeship in his native country to the watchmaker's and jeweler's trade. In the spring of 1866, he emigrated to America, and located at Mankato, Minn., where he worked as a journeyman until 1869; he then moved to Red Jacket, and, in 1871, started in his present business.

MARTIN FOLEY, of the firm of Foley Bros. & Co., merchants, was born in Ireland, and emigrated to America in 1851; spent two years in New York City; then came to Eagle Harbor, arriving at that point September, 1853. He at once engaged in general merchandising with his brothers. They started a branch store at Houghton in 1857, in the management of which he assisted his brother Michael. They carried on a successful business at that point till 1875, when they were burned out, and, not being insured, lost heavily. The year previous, 1874, they had started the store at Red Jacket, which was under the management of Mr. Martin Foley, since which time he has made this place his home. The average stock carried at the Red Jacket store is about $20,000. The brother, Michael, was active in political matters, and held various public positions; he was Sheriff of Houghton County several years, and held other minor offices. His death occurred in 1876.

JOSEPH GARDNER, merchant, established his business at Red Jacket in 1874. He was born in Lower Canada, and came to the United States in 1862; he located at Eagle River, Lake Superior, Mich.; spent ten months in that locality, and then returned to Canada. Two years later, he returned to Lake Superior, and engaged at the National Mine in Ontonagon County. After spending six years with that company, he returned once more to his native land. One year later, yielding to the peculiar attractions of this region, he again visited Lake Superior, and this time located at Portage Lake, where he engaged as clerk at the store of the Franklin Mine. After three years spent in that capacity, he was appointed Surface Foreman of the mine. About a year later (in 1870), he came to Red Jacket, and engaged as business manager with Mr. Middlebaum (merchant). He continued this connection four years, since which time he has been in business for himself, as a dealer in clothing, gents' furnishing goods and boots and shoes. His stock ranges in value from $12,000 to $15,000.

JOSEPH HERMANN, jeweler, was born in Baden, Germany, in 1842. He learned the jeweler's and watchmaker's trade, and emigrated to America in 1863. He came direct to Eagle River, Lake Superior, where he worked as a journeyman two years, and then started in business for himself. In 1868, he came to Calumet, where he bought out a man who was engaged in the jewelry business. Two years later, he moved to Red Jacket (in 1870) and established his present business. Mr. Hermann carries a large stock of jewelry, watches, clocks, silverware, sewing machines and paints and oils. His stock averages from $14,000 to $20,000. While a resident of Red Jacket, he has served two terms as Township Treasurer, four terms as Village Treasurer and two terms as member of the Council.

J. H. HOLMAN, business manager of the branch store of Peter Holman, dealer in staple and fancy groceries, fruits, vegetables and crockery. This branch of the Hancock store was established in 1874. Mr. J. H. Holman, son of Peter Holman, was born in Keweenaw County, Mich., in 1857. He was brought up and educated at Hancock, and assisted his father in his store at that place. In 1878, he came to Red Jacket to take charge of the new store established at this point.

GEORGE JACKA, grocer, contractor and farmer, was born in Cornwall, England, and emigrated to America in 1860, and came directly to Lake Superior. He located at the Cliff Mine, in Keweenaw County, and was in the employ of the Cliff Mining Company eight years; he then came to Red Jacket, which was at that time a mere hamlet in the woods, and has resided here since. Soon after establishing himself at this point, he became a contractor for wood and timber with the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company, and has continued that connection to the present time; he now employs an average of twenty men; he has a fine farm (for this region) of 380 acres, 100 of which is under cultivation. In 1875, Mr. Jacka opened a grocery in Red Jacket, which he still carries on; his stock consists of staple groceries, vegetables, fruits and provisions.

HARRISON W. JACKSON, merchant, was born in Buffalo, N. Y. He moved to Adrian, Mich., with his parents, in childhood, and several years later to Hudson, of the same State. In 1856, he came to Lake Superior, and located at Marquette, where he acquired a business education as clerk in a mercantile house. He began business at Marquette for himself as a dealer in general merchandise, and in 1864 bought out Breitung & Case, of the old Cliff store, at Negaunee, but still kept up his business at Marquette; he built a new store building at Negaunee, now known as the Cliff Store; he continued business at Marquette two years after establishing the Negaunee store. In 1867, he returned to Marquette and resumed business at that point. In 1876, he opened a store at Rockford, Ill. In the spring of 1878, he moved his Marquette stock to Rockford, and in the fall of that year moved the whole business to Red Jacket, Lake Superior, Mich. Mr. Jackson does a strictly cash business; he carries a full and complete stock of staple and fancy dry goods, millinery, shoes and notions; his stock ranges from $16,000 to $25,000.

M. M. KELLEY, editor and proprietor of the Calumet News, a seven-column Independent weekly paper established by the proprietor in February, 1881; is a native of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and was born at Houghton in 1857; he learned his trade in the office of the Northwestern Mining Journal, serving five years; he also worked in the office of the Iron Agitator of Ishpeming, and of the Superior News of Hancock. In February, 1881, he came to Red Jacket and started the Calumet News. Mr. Kelley is wide awake to the rapidly increasing importance of this region, and is desirous of making his paper a faithful chronicle of the times.

KENNEDY & SLATTERY, proprietors of livery and boarding stable. This business was established by Carney & Crooks in 1874, and was purchased by the present proprietors in 1880. They have a commodious stable, and good stock and rigs, do a general livery business. The proprietors are residents of the neighboring towns of Houghton and Hancock, and have confided the business to the able management of Mr. James Smith. This is the largest and most important stable in this locality.

W. C. KINSMAN, manufacturer of and dealer in harness, saddles, collars, etc., established his business in the spring of 1872; he is the pioneer harness-maker of Red Jacket and Calumet, being the first at these points in this line. Mr. Kinsman was born in Cornwall, England, in 1850; served a regular apprenticeship in his trade, that of harness-maker, at which he worked seven years in his native country. In 1871, he emigrated to America, spent a short time in Toronto, Canada, and then located at Detroit, where he worked till the early part of 1872, when he came to Red Jacket, Lake Superior, and established his present business. Mr. Kinsman devotes his whole attention to his business; employs good, skilled assistants, and is doing a prosperous business; his stock averages about $3,000.

FRANK KOHLHAAS, of the firm of Kohlhaas & Ward, butchers; market established in Red Jacket in 1875. Mr. Kohlhaas was born in Prussia; he emigrated to the United States in 1856, and located at Detroit, Mich.; there he engaged in the butchering business, and in 1860 removed to Lake Superior; he located at the Cliff Mine, and carried on business in his line till 1869; he then moved to Calumet, and operated in the same business. In 1875, he formed the present partnership with Mr. Francis Ward; this firm has a branch market at Osceola, which is the only market at that location.

PETER LACHAPELLE, merchant tailor, was born in Montreal, Canada; learned his trade in that city and came to Lake Superior in 1864. He located at the Phœnix Mine, where he was engaged in business five years; he then returned to Canada, and remained till 1875, when he came to Red Jacket, Lake Superior. He was employed five years as a clerk, and in 1880 started his present business. Mr. Lachapelle is one of the enterprising business men of Red Jacket, and is bound to succeed.

LAMBERT, proprietor of the New York House and dealer in wines, liquors and cigars, P. O. Calumet, was born in Sweden in 1848, and emigrated to America in 1870, coming directly to Red Jacket, Lake Superior, Mich. He was an employee of the Calumet Mine for five years, and then started in his present business. Mr. Lambert has always taken a warm interest in the growth and improvement of the town, and at present is one of its officers, having been elected one of the Assessors at the last regular election.

ALEXANDER McDONALD, merchant tailor, is a native of Scotland; served a regular apprenticeship to the tailor's trade in his native country, and emigrated to America in 1863. He located in Gray County, Canada, where he worked as a journeyman two years. In 1865, he moved to the Bruce Mine, on the north shore of Lake Superior, and formed a partnership with Mr. H. J. Vivian in the tailoring business; continued at the Bruce Mine till 1876, when he removed to Red Jacket with his partner, and continued business at this point three years, under the articles of copartnership, since which time he has been operating alone. Mr. McDonald is occupying his own building, which he erected the present year at a cost of $3,000, and is doing a very successful business.

DANIEL T. McDONALD, Justice of the Peace and druggist. Mr. McDonald is a native of Argyleshire, Scotland, and was born in Island of Call November, 1821. He was educated at Glasgow, being a student of Glasgow Apothecary Hall five winters, and graduated in 1846. He was employed as mining agent of the Nickel Mines of the Duke of Argyle for a term of four years, and also served as a Magistrate at Inverary several years. He went to Norway to accept the agency of some silver mines in that country, and remained four years. He next went to Ireland, and was employed four years as agent of lead and copper mines. Subsequently he accepted the agency of some mines in the Hartz Mountains of Germany, which he superintended for four years. In 1868, he came to America to accept the agency of a silver mine on the north shore of Lake Superior. One year and a half later, the mine stopped working and he came to Red Jacket, Mich. On arriving at this place, he purchased the corner lot where he is now located, and erected a store, and opened in the drug business, which he has continued, to this date (1882). He has a neat, well-stocked store in his line, carrying an average stock of $10,000. He began business here in August, 1869, being the pioneer druggist of this place. He was admitted a member of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain in 1853. He was elected Justice of the Peace as soon as he had been a resident the required length of time, and has been re-elected each term since. He also served one term as one of the Coroners of the county of Houghton.

D. D. MURPHY, dealer in wines, liquors and cigars, was born in Ireland, and came to America in 1863, and direct to Houghton, Lake Superior; resided in Houghton till 1872, during which time he served three years as Township Treasurer. In 1872, he removed to Red Jacket; he was one of the charter members of the Village Council in 1875, and has served three terms as a member of that honorable body.

SIVERT OLSON, senior partner of the firm of Olson & Wold, contractors and builders, undertakers and dealers in furniture. Mr. Olson was born in Norway; learned the cabinetmaker's trade, and emigrated to America in 1873; made his home in Ohio a few months, and then came to Red Jacket, Lake Superior, in the fall of the same year. He worked at his trade for E. L. Siller till 1878, when he formed a partnership with Stephen Wold. They bought out Mr. Siller's Red Jacket establishment, and engaged extensively in contracting and building. This firm has built four of the churches of Red Jacket and Calumet and many of the best private buildings. They also built the large school building at Torch Lake, and have done a large amount of work for the Calumet & Hecla Mining Companies. They have a branch store at Lake Linden, established in October, 1881, where they are doing a good business.

JOHN PHILLIPS, proprietor of meat market, was born at sea in 1855, between Liverpool and New York, and of English parentage. His parents proceeded at once (after reaching New York) to Lake Superior. Mr. Phillips was brought up in the copper region, and came to Calumet in his youth and learned the butcher's business with Mr. G. W. Shears, the pioneer butcher of this location. He continued in Mr. Shears' employ from 1868 to 1881, or until his employer sold out. He started in his present business at Red Jacket June 3, 1882, and is working up a very satisfactory trade.

T. F. POWERS, attorney at law and Justice of the Peace, was born in Oswego County, N. Y., and came to Michigan in 1855. He studied law and was admitted to practice at Charlotte, of that State. He pursued the practice of his profession at that point till 1874, when he moved to Red Jacket, Lake Superior, and has made this his home since. Mr. Powers has served as Circuit Court Commissioner four years, and is now in his second term. He was elected Justice of the Peace in the spring of 1881.

PETER RUPPE, JR., junior partner of the firm of P. Ruppe & Son, merchants, and business manager of the Red Jacket branch house. This firm opened their store at this place in 1870, and carry an average stock of general merchandise of from $30,000 to $40,000, maximum stock, $75,000. They keep a total force of nine employees. Mr. Ruppe, Sr., was born in Lower Austria December 6, 1843; he emigrated to America in 1861; spent three years in St. Paul in trade, and came to Hancock, Mich., in 1864. He subsequently spent two and a half years in Chicago, and returned to Hancock in 1867, where he engaged in business with his father. In 1870, on the opening of the Red Jacket store, he located here to superintend the business. Mr. Ruppe was elected the first President of Red Jacket, on its organization as a village; was re-elected and served two terms. He has been a member of the Council ever since the charter was adopted. He has also served two terms as Township Treasurer, and one as Village Treasurer.

BARTHOLOMEW SHEA, proprietor of livery and boarding stable; was born in Ireland, and emigrated to America in 1854; resided in Massachusetts till 1862, when he moved to Hancock, Lake Superior, Mich., and engaged in mining; he was in the employ of the Isle Royale, Huron, South Pewabic, Franklin, Grand Portage and Columbian Mines, till 1870, when he was elected Sheriff of Houghton County, and served two years; he was re-elected in 1874, and served a second term. He had located at Red Jacket in 1867, and, with the exception of the term of his official service, he has resided at this place to the present time. In 1879, he established his present business.

OWEN SHERIDAN, hardware merchant, was born at Middlesex, Mass., in 1827; he learned the tinsmith's trade at Lowell. In 1851, he removed to Milwaukee, Wis., where he worked at his trade till 1855; he then started for Superior City by boat, taking passage on steamer Superior, and came through to Houghton. The Superior was the steamer from Lake Michigan to pass through the canal at the Sault. She made the passage July 3, 1855. The weather was uncomfortably cold; when the boat left the dock at Houghton, Mr. Sheridan was left ashore. He at once hired a small tug to overtake the steamer, and put him aboard, but the tug proved no match for the steamer in speed, and the chase was abandoned. Mr. Sheridan then conceived the idea of walking to Eagle River by trail, a distance of thirty miles, and thus heading the steamer. After meeting with a variety of difficulties in the way of subsistence, he reached Eagle River just before the steamer hove in sight. When the boat reached the dock, he was an object of interest to all on board. They were all curious to see the man who had beaten the boat. On arriving at Superior City, he engaged in the hardware business, and continued it till 1874; while a resident of that place, he formed a partnership, in 1857, with Robert Johnson, in a contract to carry the mail between Superior City and Ontonagon. They opened the trail between Montreal River and Lake Gagebic. The mail had to be packed, Mr. Sheridan carrying it personally two years. He held the office of Sheriff and other minor offices. In 1874, he removed to Red Jacket, and engaged in his present business. Mr. Sheridan carries an average stock of $5,000 of heavy and shelf hardware, stoves and tin ware. Since coming to Red Jacket, he has held the office of President of the village three terms.

WILLIAM J. TONKIN, Village Marshal of Red Jacket, was born in Ste. Anne's, Goubell Ste. Agnes, Cornwall, England, in 1849. He was brought up a miner, and emigrated to America in 1871, arriving in New York City on the 10th of July of that year; he proceeded to Pennsylvania, where he was employed as a boss in the iron mines till 1873; he then came to Red Jacket, Lake Superior, Mich., and engaged as a miner with the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company; continued with that company till 1876, and then returned to England; he remained abroad only a few months, and then returned to Red Jacket, and resumed work with the old company. In 1879, he was elected Village Marshal; he was defeated the following year for the same office by only two votes, but was re-elected in 1881-82 by a larger majority than was ever given any other candidate for the same office. Mr. Tonkin also holds the offices of Constable and Deputy Sheriff; the former he has held three terms, and the latter two years. By virtue of his office of Marshal, he is Chief of Police.

HENRY J. VIVIAN, merchant tailor, was born in Glostershire, England, and emigrated to America in 1859; he learned the cutter's trade in New York City, and in 1872, moved to the Bruce Mine, on the north shore of Lake Superior; here he worked at his trade for awhile, and then removed to Prince Arthur's Landing, where he was in business several years, as a merchant tailor. In 1877, he came to Red Jacket, and entered upon his present business. Mr. Vivian is a thorough master of his business, and by strict attention to the wants of his customers, has built up a very satisfactory trade.

FRANCIS WARD, of the firm of Kohlhaas & Ward, proprietors of meat market, with a branch market at the Osceola Mine. Mr. Ward was born in England in 1842, and emigrated to the United States in 1860; he came direct to Lake Superior, and located at Houghton, where he was engaged in butchering and mining. In 1875, he formed his present connection with Frank Kohlhass. Mr. Ward has served as Village Treasurer one term, and has just been elected President of the village.

JOSEPH WERTIN, JR., of the firm of J. Wertin & Sons, merchants and managers of the Red Jacket branch store. This firm established their store in this place in 1869; they do an extensive business as dealers in general merchandise; have eight employees in the Red Jacket store, and carry an average stock of $40,000; they have the main store at Hancock; have a half interest in the Lake Linden Brewery, and are large stockholders in the Grand Portage Copper Mine. Joseph Wertin, Jr., was born in Austria in 1842, and emigrated to America in 1862; he made his home in Chicago till the following spring, and then came to Lake Superior. In 1867, he established himself in business at Hancock with his father, and in 1869 came to Red Jacket to take charge of the store at this place. Mr. Wertin has served as a member of the Village Council five years.

HENRY WILKINS, book-keeper for Kohlhaas & Ward and Captain of the Calumet Light Guards, was born in Vermont in 1847. When fifteen years of age, he enlisted at Washington, N. Y., in the One Hundred and Twenty-third New York Volunteer Infantry (August, 1862), and served till June 23,1865; he participated in Sherman's campaigns; was wounded at Kenesaw Mountain by a gunshot June 22, 1864; he took part in the principal battles under Sherman, and was with him in his march to the sea. In 1867, he re-enlisted in the regular service for three years in the First United States Infantry, and served the term of his enlistment; later he came to Lake Superior, and has been a resident of Red Jacket several years; he has taken a warm interest in the organization and drill of the Calumet Light Guards, Company B, Second Battalion Michigan State Troops, of which he was commissioned Captain. (See sketch of company.)

JOHN H. WILSON, book and job printer and dealer in blank books and stationery, subscriptions taken for all newspapers and magazines, was born in Kent Co., Ontario, Canada, in 1850; he served a regular apprenticeship to the printer's trade in the office of the Chatham Planet, of Chatham. In 1868, he came to the United States, and worked three years in Detroit at his trade, and in 1871 came to Houghton, Lake Superior. Michigan; he spent two years in the Portage Lake Gazette office, and in 1873 helped to establish the Northwestern Mining Journal at Hancock; was a partner in the concern only six months but maintained his connection with the paper eight years, during the most of the time serving as foreman. In the summer of 1882, he opened his present office at Red Jacket.

STEPHEN WOLD, of the firm of Olson & Wold, contractors and builders, undertakers and dealers in furniture, P. O. Calumet. The subject of this sketch was born in Norway in 1844, and came to America in 1867; settled in La Crosse, where he learned the carpenter's trade; spent one and a half years in that city, and then went to Minnesota and worked at his trade three years; he then, in the fall of 1873, came to Red Jacket, Lake Superior, worked at his trade, and in 1879 formed the existing partnership with Mr. Olson. (See more extended notice of the business in sketch of the senior partner.)



Includable Page Index History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan: Houghton County
 Pages 250 - 256 | Pages 256 - 264 | Pages 264 - 272 | Pages 272 - 276 | Pages 276 - 279 | Pages 279 - 283 | Pages 283 - 286
Pages 286 - 291 | Pages 291 - 299 | Pages 299 - 302 | Pages 302 - 305 | Pages 305 - 311 | Pages 311 - 316 | Pages 316 - 320
Copper Country Online Files

Copper Country Online Files

Houghton MIGenWeb

Index | Archives | Bibliography | Bios | Cemeteries | Lookups | Obits | Queries 

Keweenaw MIGenWeb

Index | Archives | Bibliography | Bios | Cemeteries | Lookups | Obits | Queries

Join Us On FaceBook

  Web Page Coding: Copyright © 1998 - 2013. All rights reserved. Volunteers hold copyright to the material they have donated for this site.  Not to be copied and used in any format to any other site or in any other media including CDs, books, and visual presentations.  Small parts (not all one surnames studies) may be used in personal family genealogies.  Please cite your source (this site) when using this data. 

MIGenWeb Project


Hosted on the Michigan Family History Network Server