History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Houghton County 

Source: History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan: containing a full account of its early settlement, its growth, development, and resources, an extended description of its iron and copper mines : also, accurate sketches of its counties, cities, towns, and villages ... biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers. Publication Info: Chicago : Western Historical Co., 1883. Pages 311-316.


This township, as elsewhere noted, was, upon the application of George Churches and other citizens, organized July 28, 1866, by the Board of Supervisors, then consisting of S. Gillet, of Franklin Township; William Condon, of Hancock; O. J. Foote, of L'Anse; and James H. Kerwin, Clerk. It was set of mainly from Portage Township.

The first township election was held at the house of Joseph Gregory, in said township, on Tuesday, September 4, 1866, at which Joseph Gregory, Robert Metzner and J. R. Johnson were appointed Inspectors thereof, and at which there were twelve votes cast. Robert Metzner was elected the first Supervisor; Joseph Gregory, Clerk; Prosper Roberts, Township Treasurer; L Marcatte, George Churches, James Beasley and John McNamra, Justices of the Peace; N. Sarazen, C. Romilliard and John McNamra, Commissioners of Highways; James R. Johnson and Joseph Gregory, School Inspectors; David Picard, N. Gaushe, Israel Gladding, Constables.

The amount of the first tax collected in this township was $6,004.61. Of this, $2,132.86 was credited to the school fund, $1,500 to the general and highway funds; the State, $448.40; and the county, $1,692.41. The collection fees for this gross amount were $234.95.

The present township officers, 1882, are: Supervisor, Joseph Gregory: Clerk, Rhino Fichtel; Treasurer, H. C. Guck; School Inspectors, J. Bosch, Archibald McNaughton; Highway Commissioner, Allan McIntyre; Justice of the Peace, Rhino Fichtel; Constables, William Moon, Peter Kerohen, N. Dondelinger and George Owens. The total vote cast at this election was 368.


JOSEPH GREGORY, P. O. Lake Linden, manufacturer of and dealer in lumber, sash, doors and blinds, saw-mill and factory situated on Torch Lake, opposite Lake Linden. For sketch of business see general history. He was born in Canada August 5, 1833; came to Lake Superior in 1854; spent one winter at the Norwich Mine, in Ontonagon County, Mich., and in the following spring went to Superior City. The boat he was on was the first to effect a landing at the first pier built at that place. June, 1855, he began as an employee in the lumber business, and was soon put in charge of the business; he furnished the first logs for the first saw-mill at Superior City; spent one year at this point, then engaged in contract work; built the first dock and storehouse at Duluth, on the lake; helped to start the village of Portland; was a partner in the venture, and lost heavily. In 1859, he came to Portage Lake hardly worth a dollar; he began work as a contractor and builder. In 1860, he bought pine and hardwood lands on credit; he furnished the first logs for the saw-mill at Ripley, on Portage Lake. the proceeds of which gave him a good start; he also furnished timber for mines. In 1865, he bought a small tug and contracted to furnish 7,000 cords of wood for the mines. In 1867, he became regularly established at Torch Lake, and, in company with Louis Deschamps and a Mr. Normandin, he built a saw-mill and engaged in the manufacture of lumber under the firm name of Joseph Gregory & Co. This connection lasted till 1872, when Mr. Gregory bought out his partners, and has since operated alone; he rebuilt the mill on a larger scale and with the modern improvements; he also built his large sash and door factory, which he had only just got in operation when his sawmill burned, causing a loss of $20,000 above insurance. Luckily his planing-mill was saved, and by erecting a temporary saw-mill and using the power from the factory he was able to resume sawing, thereby being able to fill his bills of lumber and furnish material for a new saw-mill. He at once proceeded to build a still larger and better mill than the former; he has now one of the best mills in this region, and employs eighty men all told. He has a tract of 2,500 acres of pine land and 4,000 acres of hardwood. His sash and blind factory is in successful operation under the able management of Mr. William J. Smith. (See general history for sketch of these works.) Mr. Gregory also has a general store at his mills. The buildings necessary for his business and the homes of his employees make quite a little village. A race course of ample dimensions and good track has been completed the present summer (1882). The Soldiers' Reunion was held here July 27, at which several thousand people congregated. Mr. Gregory allows no liquor to be sold on his location, and thus has an orderly, well-regulated community. He is a genial, kind-hearted gentleman and an active, thorough-going business man, whose success in life has been achieved by intelligent and persevering industry.

WILLIAM J. SMITH, manager of the Gregory Sash, Blind and Door Factory, on Torch Lake, P. O. Lake Linden, set up the machine in these works when built in 1876, and has had charge of them since that time. (See sketch of the factory in the general history). He was born in Windsor County, Vt., September 16, 1826, and, at the age of twenty years, went to New Hampshire and to Massachusetts, spending six years in the two States; went to Wisconsin in 1853, and located at Fond du Lac, where he worked at the carpenter's trade three years; was engaged as foreman of Conkling & Boyd's sash and blind factory three years; worked at carpenter's work again until 1862, when he enlisted in Company F, Twenty-first Wisconsin Infantry, and served three years; he was captured and held prisoner at Libby Prison five months, and was exchanged and discharged at Milwaukee at the close of the war. He returned to work at the sash and blind factory again, and worked three years; he then went to Green Bay as foreman for Baird & McDonald, where he spent five years; he next spent one year at Grand Rapids, Wis., and returned to Fond du Lac. In 1876, he engaged with Mr. Gregory to set up his machinery and operate his sash and blind factory, and has continued here since. He was married, in Wisconsin, to Miss Caroline Gibson, by whom he has five sons and two daughters; one daughter was buried at Fond du Lac. A remarkable feature in the history of this family was the birth of three boys at one time; four of the boys died at Green Bay and one at Grand Rapids. Mr. Smith lost one daughter and his wife; the latter died at Grand Rapids, Wis., June 26, 1871. Mr. Smith was married again, January 22, 1881, at Calumet, Mich., to Miss Nellie Beesley, daughter of Alfred Beesley; her family were the earliest pioneers of Torch Lake. She was born at Lake Linden, Lake Superior.


Lake Linden, Houghton Co., Michigan 1883

This village was organized in 1868, being the next year after the Hecla Stamp Mill was built here. It is finely located near the head of Torch Lake, a body of water seven miles long, about a mile wide, and 165 feet deep at a point called Big Pond, and is 600 feet above the level of Lake Superior. The outlet of Torch Lake is Torch River, some two miles long, and connects the lake with Boot-jack Bay, which is an arm of Portage Lake. This river has been dredged by the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company, thus making this entrance to Torch Lake navigable for the largest steamers.

The village of Lake Linden is the outgrowth of the Calumet and Hecla Mining interests, its stamp mills located at that point. It now has a population of about twenty-two hundred people, heterogeneous in its composition, who are mainly connected with the mining and lumbering industries.

Among the early pioneers were Peter Robesco and Joseph Robesco, Frenchmen, and sometimes called "Pea-cord;" Joseph Gregory, E. Brule, J. B. Tonpont, the Beasley brothers and others. The first house here was a log structure at the head of the lake, built by Alfred Beasley as a residence, and afterward used as a schoolhouse, in which the first school was taught in the township by a Miss Seeley, who was directed here by Mr. E. Brule, then the Township School Inspector. The earliest settlement was in 1851, and the Beasley brothers, Alfred and James, settled in 1853, who opened the first house for public entertainment, called the Half-Way House, at the north end of the lake.

Of the various institutions, educational, religious and business, which have grown up, may be mentioned the:

Schools—The first school building was erected in 1867, a small frame structure, paid for by a tax and personal subscription, to which two additions have been added, the first by taxation, and the second by the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company. This entire structure cost about $20,000, and was destroyed by fire in November, 1881. It was rebuilt the same year, at a cost of $15, 000. It is frame, the main building 50x119, with a wing back 50x75 feet. It was built by the Calumet and Hecla Company, and leased to the district at a nominal sum. The fixtures in the building cost $4,000. There are 754 pupils of school age enrolled, and an attendance of 600. There are thirteen departments, with thirteen teachers in all, who receive from $40 to $60 per month, and the Principal receives $1,200 per year.

The Churches.—The St. Joseph's Catholic Church of Lake Linden was built in 1871. At that time, the congregation comprised twenty-five families. The edifice was enlarged in 1876. In 1882, it was so evident that the accommodations were too limited, it was proposed to enlarge the present house or build a new one. This proposition took effect, so that now a new church building is in process of construction, of which the old church is to form a chapel. The number of the congregation at present is about eighteen hundred. It is proposed to erect a large schoolhouse early in 1883. These important works are under the direction of Rev. Peter Menard, or Mesnard, the pastor since 1881. The first structure was erected under the supervision of Rev. Helliard.

The Methodist Church society of Lake Linden was organized in 1874, with a membership of about ten. The society was a branch of the Calumet Church until 1875, and attended by the pastor of the church at Calumet until that time. The first permanent pastor was Rev. Mr. Sparling, from 1875 to 1877. He was followed by Rev. Mr. Sweet, who remained until 1879. Rev. Isaac Wilcox took charge of the district in 1879, and is now the pastor.

The church edifice was built in 1875, at a cost of $2,600, including lot. The tower and bell entailed an additional outlay of $900.

Benevolent Societies.—Of these institutions there is but one in Lake Linden, the Odd Fellows' Lodge, No. 245, organized November 21, 1875, with twenty-one charter members. The first officers were: Henry Fisher, N. G.; George Fisher, V. G.; James Trathan, Recording Secretary; William Sweet, Permanent Secretary; Phillip Ralph, Treasurer; Jacob Kaughman, Conductor; Thomas Burgan, Warden. The present membership is about seventy, and the present officers are: Charles La Sage, N. G.; James Colic, V. G.; George Hoar, Recording Secretary; John Edyven, Permanent Secretary; H. E. Leach, Treasurer; George Smith, Conductor; M. J. Ethorn, Warden. The order rent their quarters, and are out of debt and in a good condition. Isaac Burgan organized the lodge as Deputy Grand Master of Calumet Lodge, No. 134.

The Good Templars have a lodge here, organized in 1874, with a membership of about twelve. Thomas Burgan was the first Worthy Chief Templar; Isaac Burgan, the first Secretary; and John Ellenbecker, the first Treasurer. They use the Odd Fellows' Hall, and are in good working condition.

The Post Office.—The Lake Linden post office was established July 23, 1868, with Prosper Robert as the first Postmaster. The total receipts of the office for the first quarter of its existence were $7.46, and the compensation of the Postmaster for the same period, $2.28. The total receipts of the office for the last quarter, ending June 30, 1882, were $372.76, and the compensation of the Postmaster for the same period was $199.21. The Postmasters since the organization of the office have been, respectively, Prosper Robert, Charles Briggs, Vital Paradis and Lewis Des Champs, the present incumbent. The office is kept in the Lake Linden drug store, with R. Fechtel as Deputy, who is also Clerk of Schoolcraft Township.

The village has a park, finely fenced and equipped for public speaking, pleasure, etc., which was presented to it by the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company.

The Lake Linden Driving Park is also another institution of the Lake. It was laid out July 4, 1882, fenced and finely improved, with a half-mile circle track, amphitheater with seating capacity of 1,500, judges' stand, building for offices, committees, refreshments, etc. The entire cost was about $4,000.

Industrial Enterprises.—Among the industrial enterprises of Lake Linden is that of the Torch Lake Brewery, which was established in 1871, by Bosch & Son, and has a manufacturing capacity of 4,000 barrels of beer per year. In 1874, the firm was changed to Joseph Bosch & Co., Joseph Bosch, Joseph Wertin and sons composing the new firm. The establishment bottles for export 1,000 barrels of beer per year; finds ready market.

The Lake Linden House is a comfortable inn for the sojourner to tarry in. It is the main public house in the village, which was opened to the public May 5, 1880, by William Jewell. It is a frame structure, three stories high, and centrally located. The mercantile pursuit is represented by Capt. William Harris, who carries one of the largest stocks of general merchandise in the place, averaging $50,000 a year, and the fall stock sometimes reaching as high as $100,000.

Mr. Neuman established himself in a good trade in general merchandise in 1876, carrying a stock of $30,000, and is also engaged in shipping.

In September, 1879, D. W. Luther established a store of general merchandise, in which he has been successful. He carries a stock of $25,000.

Lewis Des Champs established the Lake Linden drug store in 1874, the only one in the village. Since 1875, he has been Postmaster, and kept the post office therein.

There is also one livery stable here, that of George Duguette, which was established in 1882.

Across Torch Lake, and opposite Lake Linden, and in Schoolcraft Township, is a busy little hamlet, the outgrowth of the extensive productive industries of Joseph Gregory & Co.

In 1867, Mr. Gregory, Lewis Deschamp and Mr. Normandin, under the firm name of Joseph Gregory & Co., constructed a saw-mill, which they operated until 1872, when Mr. Gregory purchased the interests of his partners, and rebuilt the mill with modern improvements. He also built an extensive door, sash and blind factory. These, together with the saw-mill, he operated successfully, when, August 27, 1876, the saw-mill was destroyed by fire, measuring to him a loss of $20,000 beyond the amount for which it was insured. The same year, 1876, he constructed a temporary mill for immediate use, and operated it with power from the engine of the door, sash and blind factory, and also rebuilt the present large double rotary mill, which has a capacity for cutting 40,000 feet of lumber per day. During the period of this misfortune, Mr. Gregory furnished, with his temporary mill, all the lumber and sawed timber used by the Calumet and Hecla and other mining companies in his section. The door, sash and blind factory turns out about 200 doors, 300 sets of sash, 10,000 feet of moldings, 30,000 feet of surfacing, 10,000 feet of flooring and 8,000 feet of siding per day, which shows the immensity of this vast industry at the "Gregory Hamlet." The company owns 25,000 acres of pine lands, and 40,000 acres of hardwood timbered lands. It also owns a steam tug, Mentor, which plys on Torch and Portage Lakes in connection with their extensive business.


JOSEPH BOSCH & CO., proprietors of Torch Lake Brewery. This business was organized in 1874, and is owned one-half by Joseph Bosch, the other by Joseph Wertin & Sons, of Hancock; 4,000 barrels of beer. are manufactured annually, 1,000 of which is bottled. Joseph Bosch was born in Baden, Germany, February 13, 1850, and came to America with his parents in 1854; he spent nine years in New York City, and then removed to Port Washington, Wis., where he learned the brewing business with his father. In 1867, in company with his father, he came to Torch Lake, and erected the first house in what is Lake Linden; he worked four years at the Hecla Stamp Mill. In 1874, he built the brewery; he was married at Hancock in January, 1875, to Miss Mary, daughter of Joseph Wertin. Mrs. Bosch was born in Austria. They have a daughter—Mary.

EUCHARISTE BRULE, chief salesman of Capt. Harris' large general stores and proprietor of harness shop, was born in Lower Canada February 25, 1837; he came to Lake Superior in 1854, landing at Eagle River. May 25 of that year, he came to Torch Lake by trail; there took a Mackinaw boat and went up to the Portage, crossed Portage Lake and landed at Houghton. On his arrival at this point, he engaged with Shelden & Douglass as salesman in their store, and was with that firm for seven years, and with their successors, Harris & Smith, six years, and subsequently with John Hoat & Bro. five years. In the spring of 1873, he came to Lake Linden, and engaged as salesman with Johnson & Ormsby, merchants. This connection lasted only a short time, when he became a partner in the establishment, the firm being J. B. Ormsby & Co. About 1876, he sold out and moved to Kalamazoo County, where he spent about one year, and returned to Lake Linden to accept the position of head salesman with Capt. William Harris; he was married at Houghton October 25, 1857, to Miss Jane, daughter of P. N. Harvey. Mrs. Brule was born in Essex, N. Y. They have seven children—four sons and three daughters. While residing at Houghton, Mr. Brule held various local offices. For ten years, he was Township Clerk and seven years Justice of the Peace; he was the first Notary Public at Lake Linden, one of the first Trustees of the graded school and the first School Inspector of the township.

THOMAS BURGAN, foreman of the Lake Linden blacksmith shop of the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company, was born in Cornwall, England, September 28, 1836; he learned the blacksmith trade in his native country, and emigrated to America in 1857; he spent six months in Pennsylvania, and then came to Lake Superior within the same year (1857), and located at Eagle River; worked the first six months in the Garden City Mining Company; he then went to Ontonagon County, and engaged with the Rockland Mining Company until 1862; he then returned to Eagle River, and in 1864 went to California by the way of New York and Nicaragua; he spent three years in California, working at his trade. Returning East, he engaged in the machine shops of S. F. Hodge, where he continued to work until the fall of 1866; he then returned to Lake Superior, and worked with the Albany, Boston and Franklin Mining Companies until February, 1869, when he accepted the above position, and has served as such to this date (1882); he was married at Rockland, Ontonagon County, Lake Superior, July 4, 1860, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Davey. They have four children, one daughter and three sons.

LOUIS DESCHAMPS, druggist and Postmaster, established his drug business in 1874, and was appointed Postmaster in 1875; he was born in Canada August 20, 1836; he learned the carpenter's trade and worked at it four years. In 1854, he came to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan; made his home at Copper Harbor, and worked for the Clark Mining Company as carpenter two years; he then, in company with three others, built a small coasting schooner, and sailed to Superior City; he was engaged in coasting and fishing on the north shore two years; he then went to Portage Lake, and from there to L'Anse, where he spent one year; he returned to Houghton, where he worked at his trade; he also operated the old sash and blind factory awhile; then engaged in the drug business with Sam Hebert; they started a branch store at Lake Linden in 1874. In 1881, they dissolved partnership, Mr. Hebert keeping the Houghton store, while Mr. Deschamps took the Lake Linden store; he carries an average stock of $4,000.

GEORGE DUQUETTE, proprietor of livery and sale stable, was born in Quebec, Canada, in April, 1834; came to Lake Superior in May, 1856; spent one year at Superior City, and then went to Copper Harbor where he learned the carpenter's trade; was at that place fifteen months, and then went to the Quincy Mine, where he was employed two years; from there to the Huron Mine, and from there to the Boot Jack; he was engaged several years in farming and getting out wood and logs; he then lived awhile in Hancock; returned to the Boot Jack again, and, in 1881, he erected his building at Lake Linden, and in the spring of 1882, he began his present business. He was married at the Quincy Mine in 1859, to Miss Alexa L. Le Count. They have six children—one son and five daughters.

HENRY FISHER, JR., Assistant Superintendent in charge of the Calumet Stamp Mill since 1871, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, January 23, 1846; when seven years of age, he accompanied his parents to Lake Superior, and located at Eagle River, his father being a mining engineer; from Eagle River, went to Isle Royale, and from there to the Sault Ste. Marie; thence to Ontonagon, and from there to Portage Lake in 1865; worked in the Franklin, the Old Isle Royale, Pewabic and Quincy Mines; served two years each in the two latter as machinist; from the Quincy, he went to the Huron, and from there returned to the Pewabic. In 1869, he engaged at the Hecla Mills at Lake Linden. In the spring of 1870, he took charge of the Calumet Mill at the mine, and on the removal of the works to this place, he was appointed to his present position, and has had charge of the mill ever since. He was married at Calumet July 26, 1870, to Miss Elizabeth Paull, daughter of Capt. Richard Paull. They have one son and three daughters.

FRANK E. FLETCHER, M. D., physician and surgeon for the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company.

BENJAMIN HARRIS, foreman copper washer of the Calumet Stamp Mill, was born in County Cornwall, England, July 6, 1839; he was brought up at copper and tin mining, and in 1864 came to America, and direct to Lake Superior; he worked at the Phoenix, Delaware and Central Mining Companies' mills as copper washer; he also worked at the Schoolcraft Mine, and in 1872 engaged at the Hecla Mills as foreman copper washer. In January, 1879, he was assigned to the Calumet Stamp Mills in the same capacity; he was married in England in May, 1865, to Miss Jane Allen, daughter of John Allen. Mrs. Harris was born in Cornwall, England. They have four children living—James, Mamie, John and Florence.

HON. WILLIAM HARRIS, merchant, and proprietor of dock and warehouse. Capt. Harris is one of the pioneer mining men of Lake Superior of the early date of 1846; he was born in Cornwall, England, January 7, 1818; was brought up to work in the tin and copper mines; came to Lake Superior in 1846; explored the Canada side of the lake and opened the Bruce Mine. In 1850, he came to Ontonagon County, Mich., and entered the service of the Minesota Mining Company as Mining Captain; served fourteen years in that capacity, and was then promoted to the agency of the mine, and held that position eight years. During his connection with this mine, it was one of the most prosperous of any in the region. It was while he was Captain that his men discovered the great 500-ton mass (1857), that took twenty months to cut up, starting with forty men and making sixteen tons of chips. This is said to be the largest mass ever taken out in the history of copper mining in the world. It would have loaded two good trains of cars. On leaving the Minesota Mine, Capt. Harris took charge of the Allouez for three years. Since 1878, he has given up active mining. In 1860, while in discharge of his duties as Mining Captain, he became interested with S. D. North in mercantile business at Rockland, Ontonagon County. Subsequently, Charles Briggs was taken into the concern, and the firm name was North & Briggs, Capt. Harris being a silent partner. As business and capital increased, several branch stores were opened—one at Calumet, one at the Quincy Mine and one at Lake Linden. In 1878, the business was divided up, Mr. Harris taking the Lake Linden establishment; he has a roomy, well-stocked store, with an average stock of $50,000 value. In the fall of the year, his stock often reaches $100,000. He is now building a large warehouse and dock at this place, which will prove a valuable improvement; he was married in Cornwall, England, in 1843, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Bernard Tregoning. They had two daughters born in England and four daughters and two sons born in America. Only one son and two daughters are living. Capt. Harris has served two terms in the Michigan Legislature (1871 to 1875, inclusive), and has held various local offices; he has always been known as an enterprising, active man, whose judgment was to be relied on. Whatever duty devolved upon him was sure to be performed to the best of his ability. Success with such a man was only a question of time.

SYLVESTER HOLLISTER, foreman machinist of the shops of the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company, was born in Oakland County, Mich., June 14, 1842; he came to Marquette, Lake Superior, in 1855, and to Houghton in 1859. He enlisted in August, 1862, in Company I, Twenty-third Michigan Infantry, and served till the close of the war; was mustered out July 20, 1865. In September of that year, he began in the shops of Portage Lake Iron and Machine Works, opposite Houghton, where he learned the machinist's trade; he also spent some time in the service of the Portage Lake Ship Canal Company and in traveling. March 4, 1870, he came to Lake Linden and accepted the position of machinist in the Calumet Stamp Mills. On the building of the shops at Lake Linden, he was made foreman, and has served as such to this date; he was married at Houghton, Mich., December 16, 1867, to Miss Kate Ormsby, daughter of H. B. Ormsby, of Ripley, Mich. Mrs. Hollister was born in the State of New York. They have three daughters.

WILLIAM JEWELL, proprietor of Lake Linden House, the leading hotel in the place, was born in Cornwall, Eng., April 9, 1836; was brought up to mining work, and came to America in 1864; he spent the first six months in Connecticut, and then came to Copper Falls; worked in that mine two years; also worked in Phœnix, Cliff and Central Mines, and, May 3, 1880, he moved to Lake Linden, where he had purchased the Lake Linden House. He has since improved and enlarged the building, and is keeping one of the best houses on Lake Superior. He was married in England in 1864 to Miss Grace Oates, daughter of Richard Oates.

NICHOLAS KIRCHEN, foreman carpenter of the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company, has been in this company's employ about fourteen years, and has served as foreman carpenter since 1874; he was born in Prussia, Germany, March 4, 1844; came to America, with his parents, in 1851, and made his home in Sheboygan County. Wis., where he lived till 1866; he served a regular apprenticeship at the carpenter's trade, and followed that business till 1866, when he went to Houghton, Lake Superior; he was employed at the Huron Mine two years, and, in 1868, engaged with the above company as carpenter, and, in 1874, was made foreman, and has held that position to this date. He was married at Hurontown, Houghton Co., Mich., in October, 1866, to Miss Lizette Andreas, of Port Washington, Wis., by whom he had three children—two sons and one daughter. Mrs. Kirchen died December 25, 1875, at Torch Lake. Mr. Kirchen was married again in April, 1876, to Mary Hersog. Mrs. Kirchen is a native of Germany, but came to America when but one year of age.

C. HENRY KRAUSE, Assistant Superintendent in charge of the Hecla Stamp Mills, Calumet & Hecla Mining Company, was horn in Saxony, Germany, March 2, 1839; came to America in 1852, and arrived in Milwaukee July 4 of that year, in company with his parents; he spent two years in Port Washington, and, in 1854, went to Lake Superior and engaged with the Copper Falls Mining Company; he worked in the stamp mill, and, about the latter part of 1858, assisted Messrs. Ball & Ellenbacker in erecting the first Ball Stamps ever used on Lake Superior. In 1859, he went to the Pewabic Mine and engaged as engineer or operator of the stamp mill. In June, 1868, he engaged at the Hecla Stamp Mill as machinist till 1869, when he was given charge of the stamp mill. (For working of mill see sketch of works.) Mr. Krause was married at Hancock August 8, 1861, to Miss Catharine, daughter of Jacob Reisinger. Mrs. Krause was born in Ohio. They have four children—three boys and a girl.

ALLAN McINTYRE, Surface Captain of the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company's Works, has been in the company's employ fifteen years, and, during that time, has held his present position; he was born in Scotland February 5, 1833. In 1854, he came to America; spent four and a half years in the County of Bruce, Canada. He came to Portage Lake, Mich., June 15, 1859, and engaged with the Quincy Mining Company, as miner; he was soon made assistant foreman under Capt. John Duncan, now of the Calumet & Hecla. In 1867, he left the Quincy Mine to accept his present position under Mr. Agasis; he is now longer in the company's employ than any other man except one. Mr. McIntyre was married at the Quincy Mine in January, 1865, to Miss Sarah, daughter of Charles McLean. Mrs. McIntyre was born in the Isle of Skye. They have six children, three sons and three daughters.

ARCHIBALD McNAUGHTON, superintendent of incline on the railroad of the Calumet &Hecla Mining Company. This incline is a section of the road adjacent to the mills, and nearly a mile in length, of a very steep grade, over which the cars are passed by means of a wire cable, which is operated by a steam engine at the need of the incline. Mr. McNaughton was placed in charge of this section of the road on its completion in 1868, and has held the same position ever since; his residence is at the top of incline; he was born in Scotland in 1829; came to America in 1854, and made his home in Ontario, Canada, for ten years, five of which he was engaged at the Bruce Mine, on the north shore of the Georgian Bay; he came to Lake Superior in 1864, and worked with the Quincy Mining Company for two years; in the spring of 1868, he was assigned his present position, and holds the same to this date, a period of fourteen years; he was married in Scotland in 1852, to Miss Catherine McIntyre; their family consists of three sons and four daughters.

JOHN McPHAIL, assistant surface foreman of the Calumet & Hecla Works, has been in the company's employ since 1867; was born in Western Scotland May 23, 1824; came to America in 1850; spent sixteen years in Canada, and then came to Portage Lake, Mich.; he spent six months with the Quincy Mining Company, and, in September. 1867, he engaged with the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company as watchman; served ten years in that capacity, and, since that time, has been engaged in his present position. During five summers, he was in charge of the dredging at the outlet of Torch Lake.

REV. PETER MENARD, pastor of St. Joseph's Catholic Church, was born in Lower Canada September 28, 1845; made his classical course at the Joliet College, Quebec Province, and took the theological course at the Grand Seminary of Montreal, and was ordained April 23, 1875; he was assigned to Menominee, Mich., and remained in charge of this church and vicinity until August, 1880, when he was assigned to Calumet, and from that to his present charge, in June, 1881. See sketch of the church in the history of Lake Linden.

M. NEUMANN, dealer in general merchandise, established in 1876; average stock valued at $30,000; he was born in Sulzdorf, Regierungsbezirk, Wurzburg, Bavaria, December 27, 1844, and was educated at Bamburg Commercial College; emigrated to America in August, 1866; located first at Detroit, Mich., and, in the spring of 1867, came to Lake Superior; established himself at Hancock. From 1868 to 1870, he was stationed at Milwaukee, Wis., in the employ of the Leopold & Austrian Steamboat Company. In 1871, he was in business on the line of the Northern Pacific Railroad; in 1871-72, he was on business in Chicago; in 1872, he started a store at Ashland, Wis , and continued business at that point till 1876, when he leased his building and removed to Lake Linden, and opened his present business. He was married at New York City, August 26, 1876, to Miss Sarah, daughter of Seigmund Frank. Mrs. Neumann was born in this country. They have one daughter.

PHILIP H. PAINE, general shipping clerk of the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company; has had that position since May, 1869; he was born in the county of Kent, Eng., July 3, 1837, and came to Canada with his parents in 1840; was brought up in that country, receiving a mercantile education, and spending some years as merchant's clerk. In 1860, he came to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and engaged as clerk in a general store at Rockland, Ontonagon County, where he remained four years; he then took charge of the store of the National Mining Company at Ontonagon; he was next engaged in mercantile business for himself at Negaunee one year; from there he went as supply clerk to the Huron Mine, and, in May, 1869, accepted his present position at their docks at Lake Linden. Mr. Paine was married at Ontonagon, Lake Superior, March 1, 1864, to Miss Kate Doran, who died in February, 1878, leaving three daughters. Mr. Paine was married again in June, 1880, at Hancock, to Mrs. Frank Edwards. Mrs. Edwards had a family of two girls and a boy, by her former marriage. One child, a daughter, was born of the present marriage.

CAPT. JOHN W. RICHARDS, foreman of copper washer, Calumet & Hecla Mills. Mr. Richards washed the first copper from the Calumet Mine, which was done at the Hancock Stamp Mill on Portage Lake. He was born in Cornwall, England, December 14,1829; began work as a copper washer when a lad, and continued in that employment till the spring of 1852, when he came to America; on reaching this country, he went directly to Ontonagon County mines, and engaged as a miner with the Ohio Trap Rock Mining Company; a year and a half later, he was placed in charge of the stamp mill of this company, and continued in charge two years; he next spent two years with the Toltec Mining Company as foreman of copper washer, and then engaged with the Minesota Mining Company as miner, during which time he helped to blow out and cut up the great 500-ton mass of that mine; he was next employed at Carp Lake Mine on the Porcupine Mountains, one a half years as copper washer; was next employed at the La Fayette and Pacific Mines two years as Mining Captain; was subsequently employed at the Adventure Mine, while worked by tributers; then as copper washer at the Ogema Mine; he commenced with the Calumet on the opening of that wonderful mine. On the establishment of the stamp mills at Lake Linden, he came to this place in charge of the copper washing at the Calumet mill, and has retained that position to this date, July, 1882. Mr. Richards was married in England in 1846 to Miss Elizabeth Glanville. Two children were born to them in England, and two after reaching America. Mrs. Richards died in Wisconsin in April, 1863. Mr. Richards was married again in 1865, at Dodgeville, Wis., to Miss Louisa Rickard, daughter of Henry Rickard. They have eight children living—four sons and four daughters.

PROSPER ROBERT, general contractor in Lake Superior country; has been a resident of this region twenty-eight years; was connected with the mines in the early days, but of late years, he has devoted his attention more particularly to logging and timber contracts, dealing in lumber and mineral lands. Mr. Robert was born near Montreal, Canada, January 2, 1837. In 1854, he came to Copper Harbor, Mich., remaining only a few months; he went to Marquette, where he was engaged three years in operating a saw-mill; he was employed by the Jackson Mining Company at Negaunee three years; he next spent one year at Houghton, and in 1867 engaged with the Hecla Mining Company, and erected the first house on the location; he was with this company three years; he made his home at Lake Linden, where he built a large hotel, which he subsequently moved on barges to L'Anse; he kept hotel at L'Anse one year, and returned to Lake Linden. The old building at L'Anse is now used as a county building by Baraga County. On returning to Lake Linden, he engaged in lumbering; since 1865, he has operated principally as a lumber jobber, and dealer in pine and mineral lands; he has contracts for the coming winter for putting in 15,000,000 feet of logs; he is also extensively interested in large tracts of land. The present season, he has been prospecting from Nepegan, Canada, to the Sault Ste. Marie, for lumber and mineral. Mr. Robert was married at Marquette, Mich., October 31, 1862, to Miss Sophia, daughter of M. Longtime. Mrs. Robert was born in Black Brook, N. Y. They have five children living—three sons and two daughters. Mr. Robert is one of the most active and enterprising business men on the lake, and there is probably no other more widely and favorably known. A full history of his explorations and adventures would make a fair sized volume of itself. He has been starved, frozen and half drowned. Some of his exploits have furnished material for numerous stories, which his friends tell with a relish. A man of untiring energy, genial and kindhearted, he has won the warmest regard of scores of friends throughout the lake region.

D. W. SLITTER, merchant, established his business in September, 1879, and carries a $25,000 stock. He was born in Switzerland August 10, 1850; emigrated to America in 1855; spent seven years in Detroit, Mich., and in 1862, moved to Rockland, Ontonagon Co., Mich., and engaged with North & Briggs, merchants. In 1873, he started a branch store under the name of D. Kloeckner & Co., at the Phœnix Mine, Keweenaw County. He operated that store six years, serving at the same time as Postmaster at Phœnix, and in 1879, started his present business. Mr. Sutter carries a fine stock of dry goods, boots and shoes, furniture, stoves and hardware. He was married at the Phoenix Mine, August 20, 1876, to Miss Jennie Mills, daughter of H. K. Mills, of Plainwell, Mich.

WILLIAM TREBILCOCK, foreman of the Hecla tail-house of the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company since September, 1871, was born in Cornwall, England, February 14,1843; was a dresser by trade, and came to America in 1864; he made his home at the Cliff Mine, Lake Superior, Mich., where he was employed as foreman copper washer until the company suspended work in 1870. In September, 1871, he engaged with the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company as above; he has twenty-three men and boys under his care, and the product of the tail-house averages about thirty-five tons of thirty-five per cent copper monthly. Mr. Trebilcock was married at the Cliff Mine May 22, 1869, to Miss Alice Perray Scandling, daughter of John and Elizabeth Scandling. Mrs. Trebilcock was born in Cornwall, England. They have a family of three sons and three daughters.

WILLIAM WAREHAM, assistant carpenter foreman of Calumet & Hecla Mining Company, has been in this company's employ twelve years; was born in England February 9, 1832; partly learned the carpenter's trade, when he removed to America in 1854; made his home in Canada, and resumed work at trade. In the spring of 1861, he came to Lake Superior, and located at Hancock. In 1866, he went to Nevada; spent three and a half years in that country and returned to Lake Superior. In 1870, he was appointed to his present position, which he holds at this date (1882).

HIRAM D. WILSON, Justice of the Peace, proprietor of news room, dealer in cigars, tobacco and notions, was born in Grand Rapids, Mich., September 29, 1848. When seven years of age, he removed to Ionia County, where he lived for five years, and moved to Big Prairie, Newaygo County, where he remained until of age; he then went overland to Montana., and spent one year at Fort Benton. From there he went to St. Paul, where he spent one year he then traveled some years, and in 1873 came to Ontonagon, Lake Superior. In 1875, he came to Lake Linden and opened a cigar store and news room; he was elected Justice of the Peace in 1878; was re-elected, and has held the office to this date; he is also a Notary Public; he was married in Rockland, Mich., August 13, 1874, to Miss Ellen, daughter of Joseph Hoar. Mrs. Wilson was born at the Bruce Mine, Canada; her people were early settlers of the Lake Superior country. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson have three children—one son and two daughters.

Includable Page Index History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan: Houghton County
 Pages 250 - 256 | Pages 256 - 264 | Pages 264 - 272 | Pages 272 - 276 | Pages 276 - 279 | Pages 279 - 283 | Pages 283 - 286
Pages 286 - 291 | Pages 291 - 299 | Pages 299 - 302 | Pages 302 - 305 | Pages 305 - 311 | Pages 311 - 316 | Pages 316 - 320
Copper Country Online Files

Copper Country Online Files

Houghton MIGenWeb

Index | Archives | Bibliography | Bios | Cemeteries | Lookups | Obits | Queries 

Keweenaw MIGenWeb

Index | Archives | Bibliography | Bios | Cemeteries | Lookups | Obits | Queries

Join Us On FaceBook

  Web Page Coding: Copyright © 1998 - 2013. All rights reserved. Volunteers hold copyright to the material they have donated for this site.  Not to be copied and used in any format to any other site or in any other media including CDs, books, and visual presentations.  Small parts (not all one surnames studies) may be used in personal family genealogies.  Please cite your source (this site) when using this data. 

MIGenWeb Project


Hosted on the Michigan Family History Network Server